Strange Error on Two of my machines.. please help...

Strange Error on Two of my machines.. please help...

Post by Dylan Neil » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm getting this message on two of my SPARCstation 10's, both running
Solaris 7. One of them has the following in the esp.conf file:

scsi_options=0x768;

Any ideas?

Dylan

May 17 13:22:32 christiancafe unix: WARNING:

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:     Disconnected tagged cmds (15)
timeout for Target 0.0

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix: WARNING:

(sd0):

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:     SCSI transport failed: reason
'timeout':  retrying command

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix: WARNING:

(sd0):

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:     SCSI transport failed: reason
'reset': retrying command

May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:

Strange Error on Two of my machines.. please help...

Post by James C. McPhers » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

[ in bletcherous html! - just say NO! ]

Quote:> I think this is mainly due to the fact that solaris 7 is written to work on
> 4u architecture (ultra 5 and up) which is using pci bus and not scsi which is
> what is in SPARCsation10. to tweak some modifications you need to get to
> eeprom or OBP to set the timout, and reset values. Try these might work.

bzzzt. Solaris 7 has _support_ for pci and sun4u, but does not _require_
them. If you want PCI support in solaris then you have to have at least
solaris 2.5.1 (2rd hardware update I think). You can run solaris 7 on the
sun4c machines (if you have enough ram and are crazy enough) - the sun4{d,m}
line are the lowest end that can really cope with it. I'm running solaris 7 at
home on a dual processor sun4m box (sparc20 clone) and a sparc5 clone

disk transport protocol, PCI is a data bus protocol. If you want to make a
(nearly) apples to apples comparison,

SBUS <-> PCI
SCSI <-> EIDE (which is what sun has used for the disks in the u5 and u10).

you can have SCSI on either the PCI or SBUS busses, but sun does not afaik
support EIDE on sbus (thank heavens!)

> I'm getting this message on two of my SPARCstation 10's, both running
> Solaris 7. One of them has the following in the esp.conf file:
> scsi_options=0x768;
> Any ideas?
> Dylan
> May 17 13:22:32 christiancafe unix: WARNING:

> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:     Disconnected tagged cmds (15) timeout for Target 0.0
> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix: WARNING:

> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:     SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout':  retrying command
> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:
> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix: WARNING:

> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:     SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command
> May 17 13:22:35 christiancafe unix:

This to me looks like either
        1) your termination is fscked, or
        2) your drive is dying.

I suggest that (2) is more likely unfortunately. In either case, grab as much
of the data off it as you can as soon as possible, and get a new disk.

James C. McPherson
--
Unix Systems Administrator            Phone: +61.2.9850.9418
Office of Computing Services            Fax: +61.2.9850.7433

1. Diald works 100% on machine that runs it ... other machines have strange error

Hello,

I've successfully installing IP Masquerading and Diald with an dialup
isdn card that creates a dynamic ppp connection with a remote isp. When
I try to connect to a remote site from the machine that runs diald,
everything works perfectly. However when I try to access a remote site
from another local machine, diald starts pppd, creates the connection,
passes packets from the requested desktop to the internet, but no
packets return (just looking at the lights of the windowmaker wmifs
util). When I stop the initiating request and launch it again (or
another one) everything works like it should.
So it looks as if diald can't return packets that were send while the
dynamic ppp connection is being made.
Anyone has experience with this / knows a solution.

Any help is very welcome,

Thanks a lot,

Geert Bevin

2. Where are my directories ?

3. strange error while installing AIX 4.3.1 on 43P machine Pleasae Help

4. Timeouts/Solaris8/Blade

5. strange... very strange. Please help!

6. GUI for Linux?

7. Strange error in Account Manager - Help Please!

8. Nebie question on mounting a dos partition

9. Please help with strange alad errors and panics...

10. Strange instabilities on two(!) LX machines

11. Strange compilation error on Solaris 8 Intel ( HELP Please)

12. Help me with these strange error messages in my syslog, please.

13. eth0: strange errors. Please help!