how can I ftp to a remote sun box using a PC ftp client?

how can I ftp to a remote sun box using a PC ftp client?

Post by yft » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I want to ftp to a sunbox using a ftp program called "wsftp" from a laptop.
However after putting in the remote host name and account name and password,
I get a denied access. Is there something I've missed on the sunbox? I
remember there is a trusted host file that I might have to alter. Can anyone
give details?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Post by hume.spamfil.. » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: However after putting in the remote host name and account name and password,
: I get a denied access. Is there something I've missed on the sunbox? I

Quite possibly.  Check /etc/shells to make sure your shell is listed in it.
Or, obviously, that your username and password are correct.

: remember there is a trusted host file that I might have to alter. Can anyone

Gah, no.  "Trusted" and "FTP" do not belong together.  :)

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> bofh.halifax.ns.ca, http://www.bofh.halifax.ns.ca/
                - Finger for Geek codes, PGP, /dev/zero, yadda yadda.

Post by Tim Campbel » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi

> I want to ftp to a sunbox using a ftp program called "wsftp" from a laptop.
> However after putting in the remote host name and account name and password,
> I get a denied access. Is there something I've missed on the sunbox? I
> remember there is a trusted host file that I might have to alter. Can anyone
> give details?

From the "man" page:

     /etc/ftpusers contains a list of users who cannot access the
     system; the format of the file is one user name per line.

"man ftpd" is your friend. This paragraph is at the very end.

Regards
Tim

  "Very funny Scotty... now beam down my clothes"

  tcampb01.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client

I have setup wu-ftpd proftpd and ncftpd and they
all have the same problem. I try to ftp to my
linux box, mandrake if it makes a difference,
from a dos window in windows, I connect and
login, but if I issue an ls or dir, it just
hangs. I get nothing until a control connection
timout. I have tried to use quote pasv since I am
behind a firewall with nat and still same
problem. But, from the same pc I can connect just
fine with wsftp, in passive mode. But I can not
connect from IE5. I just don't get it. Same
problem with three different servers. So I guess
it is not the server. Anyone have any input?
I am thinking something with the return trip. I
can login to other ftp servers with command line
just not my box. Also, linux to linux is fine..
-Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Getting a Linux package

3. Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client - SOLVED

4. Unix Admin/Engineer vs Oracle DBA, which one is more desired?

5. Cannot FTP to RH5.2 box via any FTP pgm?

6. RH 6.0: tetex 0.9-17 is broken

7. Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

8. HELP! running gs as user

9. FTP: Looking for source code for FTP client program

10. how do I use the cern ftp proxy with non web ftp clients?

11. Web browser as FTP client: errors on my (solaris 2.4) FTP site

12. ftp client that understands how to do passive ftp transfers.

13. FTP server behind on firewall FTP client behind another