Jumpstart help...

Post by Greg Robins » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

We have tried all sorts of combinations to get a custom jumpstart to
work, but it wont even try to start and read the rules file.  It goes
straight into OpenWindows ready for a local install.

Things we are doing:

Boot server and install server are same machine and on same subnet with
same netmask.
The share options for the install dir are correct (as we can happily
install the machine interactively)
We followed the instrictions in the installing solaris 2.2 manual
which comes with the 11/95 and 1/96 boxes of 2.5 to the letter by
having /jumpstart shared.  Doest work still.
The boot/install server is not running nis or nis+ but does have files dns
in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
Made sure there were no typos in filenames or paths or ethernet addresses.
Tried using a 20 as install and IPX as client, and a Lx as install and 5
as client. still nothing.
We did have our own custom rules but are now using the sun ones as supplied
in the auto_install_sample dir, they both check out with the "check" program
but STILL nothing.

Anyone got any ideas?  is there anything else I can check for, no hidden
feature about jumpstart I dont know of.  Unfortunately there is no FAQ :-(

Thankx,

Greg.

--

Jumpstart help...

Post by Hans Werner Stru » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

: We have tried all sorts of combinations to get a custom jumpstart to
: work, but it wont even try to start and read the rules file.  It goes
: straight into OpenWindows ready for a local install.

The rules and configuration files must be owned by root and have
permission 644. Also there is an error in the documentation: the
search for the rules.ok file is not done before entering OpenWindows
but much later, after the message "starting Solaris installation program"
in the install console under OpenWindows. Thus you might just not have
waited long enough.

--

 Drittes Physikalisches Institut,  Univ. Goettingen
 Buergerstr. 42-44,   D-37073 Goettingen,   Germany

Jumpstart help...

Post by Ric Messie » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to find a way to change the IP address and subnet mask
of a Sun IPX running Solaris 2.5 -- we've had to change our network
and this is the only machine (through a wide variety of platforms) I'm
having trouble with. Any suggestions to e-mail would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Ric

--
Badgers don't fight fair, Bubba. That's why God made dachshunds.
                        - Hunter S Thompson

Ric Messier
Framework Technologies Corp
603.448.3009 x524

Jumpstart help...

Post by Brian Connel » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Make sure the the eeprom setting is set to disk and not net. Make
sure that you are doing a
boot net - install

Jumpstart help...

Post by Jeff A Stephen » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> We have tried all sorts of combinations to get a custom jumpstart to
> work, but it wont even try to start and read the rules file.  It goes
> straight into OpenWindows ready for a local install.

> Things we are doing:

> Boot server and install server are same machine and on same subnet with
> same netmask.
> The share options for the install dir are correct (as we can happily
> install the machine interactively)
> We followed the instrictions in the installing solaris 2.2 manual
> which comes with the 11/95 and 1/96 boxes of 2.5 to the letter by
> having /jumpstart shared.  Doest work still.
> The boot/install server is not running nis or nis+ but does have files dns
> in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> Made sure there were no typos in filenames or paths or ethernet addresses.
> Tried using a 20 as install and IPX as client, and a Lx as install and 5
> as client. still nothing.
> We did have our own custom rules but are now using the sun ones as supplied
> in the auto_install_sample dir, they both check out with the "check" program
> but STILL nothing.

Well, just to double check, did you do the add_install_client script on the jumpstart
server?  This will alter the /etc/bootparams, /etc/ethers, and copy the boot image to
/tftpboot.  Also, make sure the /jumpstart directory is exported with anon=0 option!!

If this is still not working, I would get on another host and run snoop <ether>, where
ether is the enet addr of the client being jumpstarted...This will tell you whos
answering the arp, boot, and config requests and whats all happening.

If that doesn't work, I pass.  We have installed over 60 machines with this method, and
its great.

Jeff
* Jeff Stephens                                  |"Could you,      *
* Daugherty Systems                              |  would you,     *
* Phone: (314) 432-8200                          |   with a goat?" *

* Web:   http://speedy.daugherty.com/~jsteph     |Green Eggs & Ham *

Jumpstart help...

Post by Greg Robins » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

:
: > We have tried all sorts of combinations to get a custom jumpstart to
: > work, but it wont even try to start and read the rules file.  It goes
: > straight into OpenWindows ready for a local install.
: >
: > Things we are doing:
: >
[...]

I would like to thank all who replied.  The solution was to use Casper's
Jumpstart FAQ and to modify /export/exec/kvm/sparc.Solaris_2.5/sbin/sysconfig
for timezone and naming services etc.

Thankx again.

Greg.