802.1q subinterfaces on Solaris 10

Post by jmikl » Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:29:34

Hi,
is it possible to define dot1q subinterfaces on Solaris 10. And then each
specific subinterface is assigned to different zone.
In the end I want to have couple of zones with ip addresses from different
networks. Each zone uses different vlan id. Server is connected to a dot1.q
switch/router that understand vlan id.

thanks,

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:50:45

> Hi,
> is it possible to define dot1q subinterfaces on Solaris 10. And then each
> specific subinterface is assigned to different zone.
> In the end I want to have couple of zones with ip addresses from different
> networks. Each zone uses different vlan id. Server is connected to a dot1.q
> switch/router that understand vlan id.

I believe the interface has to support the .1q, not just solaris.  HME
doesn't support it, but some of the other ones do.  Which interfaces do
you have?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Post by jmikl » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:00:07

> > Hi,
> > is it possible to define dot1q subinterfaces on Solaris 10. And then
each
> > specific subinterface is assigned to different zone.
> > In the end I want to have couple of zones with ip addresses from
different
> > networks. Each zone uses different vlan id. Server is connected to a
dot1.q
> > switch/router that understand vlan id.

> I believe the interface has to support the .1q, not just solaris.  HME
> doesn't support it, but some of the other ones do.  Which interfaces do
> you have?

Hi,
Server has eri and qfe NICs. I have read that only Gigaeth interfaces
support vlan trunking on Sun. Correct ?
But, even if I had Gigaeth card on Sun, I am wondering how would I add that
specific interface to a zone ? If I remember correctly, only physcial
interface can be assigned to a zone, not logical. In fact, logical interface
is created during zone configuration.
I want to have:
zone1    eri0:1 192.168.1.1/24 vlan1
zone2    eri0:2 192.168.2.1/24 vlan2
etc

thanks,
jmiklo

Post by Jan Andre » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:38:09

> Hi,
> Server has eri and qfe NICs. I have read that only Gigaeth interfaces
> support vlan trunking on Sun. Correct ?

VLAN tagging is supported only on the newer-generation "GigaSwift"
gigabit network cards; those appear as "ce" devices in your system.
On "hme", "qfe" and "ge" cards VLAN tagging is not supported.

VLAN tagging was also supported in old "vge" SBus gigabit cards, but
those are obsolete nowadays.

--

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:03:29

> But, even if I had Gigaeth card on Sun, I am wondering how would I add that
> specific interface to a zone ? If I remember correctly, only physcial
> interface can be assigned to a zone, not logical. In fact, logical interface
> is created during zone configuration.
> I want to have:
> zone1    eri0:1 192.168.1.1/24 vlan1
> zone2    eri0:2 192.168.2.1/24 vlan2

I don't think eri supports it, only bge and ce, but I'm not completely
certain about that.

I think in this case the vlan tagged interface looks a lot more like a
physical one than a logical one.  You add the vlan to the end.

Say you have 'ce0' as a traditional physical interface.

I think the formula is VlanID * 1000 + instance number.  So VLAN 5 on
device ce0 would be device ce5000.  I don't have one to try, but if you
hand that to zonecfg as the physical interface, I think it should bring
up a logical interface on it.  (You may need to at least plumb the
interface in the global zone first).

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

802.1q subinterfaces on Solaris 10

Post by Rodrick Brow » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 11:23:12

Yes it works as long as your using ce cards, setup you vlan interfaces in
the global zones then assign them to sub zones like any normal interface
when you create your zone.

This also works in an mpathd configuration.

--
Rodrick Brown

Post by jmikl » Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:36:21

> > But, even if I had Gigaeth card on Sun, I am wondering how would I add
that
> > specific interface to a zone ? If I remember correctly, only physcial
> > interface can be assigned to a zone, not logical. In fact, logical
interface
> > is created during zone configuration.
> > I want to have:
> > zone1    eri0:1 192.168.1.1/24 vlan1
> > zone2    eri0:2 192.168.2.1/24 vlan2

> I don't think eri supports it, only bge and ce, but I'm not completely
> certain about that.

> I think in this case the vlan tagged interface looks a lot more like a
> physical one than a logical one.  You add the vlan to the end.

> Say you have 'ce0' as a traditional physical interface.

> I think the formula is VlanID * 1000 + instance number.  So VLAN 5 on
> device ce0 would be device ce5000.  I don't have one to try, but if you
> hand that to zonecfg as the physical interface, I think it should bring
> up a logical interface on it.  (You may need to at least plumb the
> interface in the global zone first).

thanks, I thing I know what I have to do.

Post by James Carlso » Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:54:08

> > I think the formula is VlanID * 1000 + instance number.  So VLAN 5 on
> > device ce0 would be device ce5000.  I don't have one to try, but if you
> > hand that to zonecfg as the physical interface, I think it should bring
> > up a logical interface on it.  (You may need to at least plumb the
> > interface in the global zone first).

> thanks, I thing I know what I have to do.

Note that wider VLAN support is in Open Solaris and coming to Solaris
Express.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677