URGENT: problem booting ultra1/creator with ultra1 boot disk

URGENT: problem booting ultra1/creator with ultra1 boot disk

Post by bruno raoul » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an ultra-1 system (2.5.1), which was well configured for some
operations.
I cloned the disk, and made another boot disk. It works well, as the
ultra-1
works with it.

I just received an ultra-1 creator, and tried to boot with the disk.
It begins loading the kernel, then prints some messages I have no time
read before the screen becomes black.

After taking care of the boot commands, I noticed the following:
- the ultra-1 has a esp SCSI driver, and boots on it
- the creator has a fas SCSI driver, and tries to boot on it.

I checked on the boot disk, and there is no "fas" file in /kernel/drv.

My question is:
What must I do to make this disk bootable on the creator? Adding a "fas"
driver in /kernel/drv is it enough?

Thanks to reply soon, I am in hurry!!

--

Quote:>----------------------- 80 chars - no less - no more ! -----------------------<

Bruno Raoult   One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
                 In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

URGENT: problem booting ultra1/creator with ultra1 boot disk

Post by bruno raoul » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I have an ultra-1 system (2.5.1), which was well configured for some
> operations.
> I cloned the disk, and made another boot disk. It works well, as the
> ultra-1 works with it.
> I just received an ultra-1 creator, and tried to boot with the disk.
> It begins loading the kernel, then prints some messages I have no time
> to read before the screen becomes black.
> After taking care of the boot commands, I noticed the following:
> - the ultra-1 has a esp SCSI driver, and boots on it
> - the creator has a fas SCSI driver, and tries to boot on it.
> My question is:
> What must I do to make this disk bootable on the creator? Adding a "fas"
> driver in /kernel/drv is it enough?

I resolved this problem as following:
        - mounting / partition of the disk on a running system
          (for instance on /mnt)
        - copying fas driver from a cd-rom or another system to
          /mnt/kernel/drv/
        - editing /mnt/etc/vfstab, and replace all "c0t0" to "c1t0"
        - the ethernet is also not the same (hme instead of le), so,
rename
          /mnt/etc/hostname.le0 to hostname.hme0
        - now the disk should boot on the creator, and the network
run...
        - finally, the framebuffer "ffb" is also used by the creator...
          To use openwin, you will have to install ffb packages, but
with
          a running system with a running network, it is quite easy...

I think these are the only thinks to do to boot a creator with a ultra-1
station...

Hope it may help someome...

Quote:>----------------------- 80 chars - no less - no more ! -----------------------<

Bruno Raoult   One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
                 In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

1. HELP: changing Sun Ultra1 boot disk location

I have a Sun Ultra1 140 that is currently running Solaris 2.5.1 and is
booting
from a 2.1gig Ultra2 SCSI disk located in the lower (target 0) location
in
the internal drive cage.  I have a second 4.2gig drive I would like to
add to
the machine but since it is not a low profile drive it will not fit into
the top
drive location (target 1).  Both drives will, however, fit if I move the

original boot drive at target 0 to the upper slot in the drive cage and
place
the new disk in the lower slot.  Okay here comes the question...  When I

start the machine up and force it to boot to the disk at target 1 it
starts the
process but aborts due to the fact that it is trying to mount the /usr
partition
from the original boot drive location (target 0).

Can anybody please lend a hand in helping me figure out how to get my
machine to boot from this new drive location. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I am also open to suggestions as to how to approach this
whole mess (adding the new drive) if changeing the boot drive location
is not a feasable approach. T.I.A

-Bill Borton

2. FilesMatch problem

3. Ultra1 CDROM Boot Problem

4. problem with dip script

5. Mysterious Boot Problem On Ultra1/200E

6. [=== Installing LINUX on SUN SLC. How to boot? ===]

7. Boot problem on Ultra1

8. 5100TX driver

9. Creator 3D and s-l-o-w Ultra1

10. Q: ultra1 170 creator 3d