Compaq notebook problems w/Solaris 2.6

Post by Ron Gom » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I've installed Solaris 2.6 w/Driver Update 3 on a Compaq LTE 5300
notebook in a docking station.  It works (sort of), even though the
5300 is not in the list of supported notebooks.  But a couple of
serious problems remain.  A search of DejaNews shows that others also
saw these problems (two years ago) but there's no report of a
solution.

The docking station has a built-in network interface compatible with
the NE2000 (or possibly NE2000+).  Solaris doesn't recognize it when it
boots.  The installation procedure does discover a "PnP BIOS Ethernet
controller" with the right IRQ and I/O port, but no driver is installed
and nothing is done with it.

If I use the Configuration Assistant at boot time to delete this "PnP
BIOS Ethernet controller" and then scan specifically for a Novell
NE2000, the interface is indeed discovered, and when the system comes
up the driver is configured and all is well.  But it doesn't stick: the
information is lost at the next reboot.  I have to manually interrupt
the boot sequence each time, and explicitly add an NE2000 to the device
list, in order to enable the network.

One suggestion was to disable plug-and-play on this interface.  I would
try this if I knew how: I have no software disk relating to this
station, and nothing on the Compaq web site seems relevant to
reconfiguring (as opposed to just reporting) the state of the network
on the docking station.

It was also suggested that I explicitly configure the device location
(IRQ and I/O port) in /kernel/drv/nei.conf.  This is also something I
would try, but I can't find anything that documents the format of
nei.conf: nothing in driver.conf(4) nor nei(7D) is helpful in this
regard.

I'd appreciate any tips on solving this problem.

The other problem is more serious but more easily described: the
console terminal driver doesn't work.  It writes nothing to the
screen.  The keyboard works but you're typing blind; until you get a
window manager started you can't tell what's going on.  You can get
around this by using one of the serial ports as a console, but for
ordinary use this is impractical.

I doubt there's a quick fix for this (it was reported by others years
ago, and this is not a new laptop) but suggestions would still be
appreciated.

1. Problem Installing Solaris 2.6 on Compaq

I am having a problem installing Solaris 2.6 on a Compaq Professional
Workstation dual Pentium Pro machine (The machine is on the Solaris
supported hardware list).  The Machine runs fine when stamped as an Windows
NT Workstation.  However when I Fdisk the machine and attempt to install
Solaris from a CD-ROM the installation program bombs out.  The program
never actually starts but dies while loading.  The  "ticker" text icon
stops moving and doesn't start again no matter how long I wait.  This
occurs whether I attempt to install Solaris using a Webstart or the
interactive install.  Anybody had a similar problem or have any thoughts on
how to proceed?  I am stumped and no one at Compaq seems to have any
suggestions...

2. Missing fonts?

3. Solaris 2.6 x86 video driver for Dell Latitude CP notebook

4. Can I have multiply IP addresses on one machine?

5. Is it possible to install Solaris 2.6 on Desktop or Notebook?

6. Ultra 10 CRASH - Solaris 7

7. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

8. Help! mopd problems.

9. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

10. Solaris 2.6 & Compaq LTE 5250 questions.

11. Solaris 2.6 (x86) and Compaq PROLIANT 2500

12. Compaq Proliant 3000 and Solaris x86 2.6

13. Is there driver for Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller (Solaris Intel 2.6)