Limit No. of Processes per User?

Post by Dav » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

        I'm running 2.4 on a Sparc 20, and I would like to find
a way to limit the number of processes a user can run simultaneously.
A couple of times my system has been brought to its knees by (l)users
trying to get around the lack of the chsh command, and they invoked
tcsh from within their .cshrc files, effectively creating a fork bomb.

        Sysdef -i shows "Tunable" parameters for max proceses per
user id (v.v_maxup), but  I have no idea how to find the structure
name or element offset.  I don't know where Adrian*roft got the
sysdef printouts showing the offsets in _Sun Performance and Tuning_.

----------------

    1509        maximum processes per user id (v.v_maxup)

(This seems to be derived from maxusers; my system has 96MB RAM.)

%adb ./unix.temp
v,e?X
v:

text address not found

rlimits,e?X
rlimits:
rlimits:        7fffffff        7fffffff        7fffffff        7fffffff
...etc.
---------------

        Also, I don't know if I would want to patch the kernel, even if
I knew how....I need to keep (l)users from blowing things up with
CGI scripts run under cgiwrap, but I need the system pseudo-users to run
without restrictions.  Maybe I use adb to patch the running kernel only
after the system is booted and all the daemons started?

        Any ideas?

David Carmean                           WestNet Communications, Inc.
System/Network Administrator            7 W. Figueroa St, Suite 20
WestNet Communications, Inc.            Santa Barbara, CA, 93101, USA

Post by Ronald Kueh » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>    I'm running 2.4 on a Sparc 20, and I would like to find
> a way to limit the number of processes a user can run simultaneously.

Hello,

in /etc/system set the following:

set maxuprc=100

Then reboot. This should do what you want.

Bye,
 Ronald
--
Ronald Kuehn, TUC Rechenzentrum,  Erzstrasse 51,  D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld

********************** Crisis over, back to panic mode! **********************