X Server on remote display grabs console input

X Server on remote display grabs console input

Post by Andy Wolverso » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I want to start an X server on a remote display when I reboot my
workstation ( running sunos 4.1.3), but I need the console input to
remain on the local display at the login prompt to allow users to log
in.

The problem at the moment is that as soon as the X server starts on the
remote display it seems to grab all keyboard and mouse input, so users
cannot log into the workstation on the local display.

I cannot use xdm because it is incompatible with the login security
system I am required to use.

Any ideas, anyone ?

Cheers.

X Server on remote display grabs console input

Post by Michael O'Sulliva » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

you can register your display using xauth, not sure of the parameters.

Have a look at the xauth man page.  If I find out how it's done I'll let
you know.

Regards, M.

> I want to start an X server on a remote display when I reboot my
> workstation ( running sunos 4.1.3), but I need the console input to
> remain on the local display at the login prompt to allow users to log
> in.

> The problem at the moment is that as soon as the X server starts on the
> remote display it seems to grab all keyboard and mouse input, so users
> cannot log into the workstation on the local display.

> I cannot use xdm because it is incompatible with the login security
> system I am required to use.

> Any ideas, anyone ?

> Cheers.

1. HELP: How to grab *all* console keyboard input?

I'm trying to grab all console keyboard input for a "lock" type program.
Is there a program in existence that works on console so as to catch the
switch-virtual-console key combinations (Ctrl-Alt-[F1..F12] under Linux)?
If not, what ioctl would be needed? If not an ioctl, then what?
Would it perhaps involve hacking around with the kernel keyboard driver?

Thanks for any help,
Jason

2. Invalid host/domain name

3. HELP: How can I grab ALL console keyboard input?

4. PnP internal modems w/LINUX

5. Second remote display/window for server console

6. Maelstrom users note...

7. X Server hangs because Workman grabs input and hangs

8. Finding GRAPHiCS libraries for X11/MOTIF

9. How to redirect input/output to local&remote display

10. Remote Display of Console Output

11. Remote X process displaying on console?

12. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

13. Remote Display of Console Output