Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

Post by Vijay Ramaswam » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:26:38

All,

Is there a Cross Compiler available for Solaris 10 (v20z platform) on
Solaris 8 (sparc). We have our source code control system on Solaris 8
and every time we have to make a Solaris10 x86 binary we need to
transfer the code to the x86 host and do a native compilation. So is
there a cross compiler running on Sparc Solaris 8 system available that
can produce an x86 binary. I am not sure if this is a very good
question. Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanx
Vijay

Post by James Carlso » Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:26:15

> Is there a Cross Compiler available for Solaris 10 (v20z platform) on
> Solaris 8 (sparc). We have our source code control system on Solaris 8
> and every time we have to make a Solaris10 x86 binary we need to
> transfer the code to the x86 host and do a native compilation. So is
> there a cross compiler running on Sparc Solaris 8 system available that
> can produce an x86 binary. I am not sure if this is a very good
> question. Please excuse my ignorance.

Gcc can do cross-compilation, but I suspect you'll be likely to have a
lot less trouble if you just optimize the configuration you have.

One way to do this is to export the source code from the SPARC system
using NFS, and then mount it from the x86 system and do the build
there without an explicit copy.  (The default /net automount point
should be helpful here.)  All you need is a script that does 'ssh' or
'rsh' over to the other system and does the build.

(In order to get cross-compilation to work, you need to have copies of
the native libraries and header files, as well as a complete toolset
for generating and manipulating binaries [linker, archiver, and so
on].  And then you'll need some way to keep that up-to-date.  That's
the hard part.  You can't just patch the copied binaries, so when you
apply patches to that x86 system you'll need to remember to copy the
binaries over, or use NFS to mount them on the SPARC system.)

On top of that, if your x86 system is faster than your older SPARC
system (you didn't say what _kind_ of SPARC that was), the cross-
compilation might actually run a good bit more slowly than a native
compile.

Good build scripts that allow you to manage multiple build machines
and architectures are, I think, an important part of any source code
control system.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

Post by Greg Menk » Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:20:42

> Good build scripts that allow you to manage multiple build machines
> and architectures are, I think, an important part of any source code
> control system.

Absolutely vital in my opinion.

Gregm

1. Solaris 10 -- Where to get gcc (or other compiler) built on Solaris 10?

I'm trying to compile apache on Solaris 10 and been unable to do so --
I keep getting Pthread.h parse errors during make. Since i'm using the
SunFreeware Solaris 9 gcc 3.3.2 package on it, I think the problem is
that compiler is linked against Solaris 9 specific libraries, headers,
etc and won't work on Solaris 10. I tried compiling gcc 3.3.3 on it
using this compiler (my only option) which of course failed.

I need to know where I can get a compiler for Solaris 10. Is there
anyone out there that can help me?

JF
St. Louis, MO

2. PPPD and new 2.4 kernel

3. lsof 4.70D for Solaris 10 [was Re: Lsof on Solaris 10 x86?]

4. bug on semctl function ?

5. KDE 3.3.1 for Solaris SPARC/x86 (Solaris 8/9/10)

6. Cross-platform backup package

7. Sparc/Solaris headers and libraries for building cross-compiler on Linux

8. How to use multiple LDAPs with NES 3.6?

9. cross-compiler sparc-solaris -> ix86-win32 ?

10. Building an EGCS PowerPC/Linux Cross Compiler For SPARC/Solaris

11. Solaris 10 x86 & sparc source/binary compatability

12. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

13. Diff Solaris 10 SPARC & x86