Large Shared Memory, large files

Post by Thomas Wagne » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions:

does anybody know, what is the maximum size for the kernel-parameter
shminfo_shmmax with Solaris 2.6 and 2.7?
Is it correct that the maximum size a shared_memory segment is
restricted to about 4GB with Solaris 2.6 (because of 32bit or what)?

What is the maximum file-size for Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 (64bit)?

Thank you very much for your answers,

Thomas Wagner
IT-Consultant
Renaissance Worldwide GmbH

Post by Richard Ellin » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> does anybody know, what is the maximum size for the kernel-parameter
> shminfo_shmmax with Solaris 2.6 and 2.7?

The shminfo_shmmax parameter is a 32 bit integer in Solaris 2.6 and
64 bit in Solaris 7.

Quote:> Is it correct that the maximum size a shared_memory segment is
> restricted to about 4GB with Solaris 2.6 (because of 32bit or what)?

The maximum size of a shared memory segment will be less than
shminfo_shmmax.  But obviously, the total of all of the shared
segments, and everything else must fit in the address space
of the process: 32 bits in Solaris 2.6 and 64 bits in Solaris 7.

Quote:> What is the maximum file-size for Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 (64bit)?

With UFS, it is 1TB.  Other file systems may vary.
 -- richard

1. Most memory efficient way to share a large data file

Hey folks.

I have a file.  It contains a bunch of data (instructions for an
interpreter actually) that will be loaded by a number of processes.
None of them will write to the file -- they're just reading.    It'll
be a fairly small file (probably not more than 200KB).

If I mmap() the file readonly from multiple processes, will the file
be mapped multiple times?  Or is this something I'm going to have to
do myself, and create some shared memory and load the file into there?

Thanks.
Alex Pavloff
Software Engineer
Eason Technology

2. "Generations": sysadmin credit!

3. Using Linux with Dual PIIs, AGP Video, Large Memory, Large HDs and On-Board SCSI

4. Aliasing

5. Linux compatability with Dual PIIs, AGP, Large HDs, Large memory and On-Board SCSI

6. Chaning on disk lib/binary while a program is executing.

7. Linux Compatability with Dual Pentium IIs, AGP Video, Large Memory, Large HDs and On-Board SCSI

8. HELP!! pthread_create & C++ class compilation problems

9. Linux Compatability with Dual PIIs, AGP Video, Large HD, Large Memory and On-Board SCSI.

10. Library management tools for large number of large data files.

11. Large shared memory

12. What is this large share memory segment owned by root?

13. Large shared memory segments?