Solaris 2.6 Install only recognizes SCSI ID 0 drive

Solaris 2.6 Install only recognizes SCSI ID 0 drive

Post by Mike Reddy Jr » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install Solaris 2.6 on a PC with a Tyan 1836DLUAN
motherboard. The SCSI interface is an Adaptec 7895 chipset.

Channel A of the 7895 contains an internal Plextor UltraPlex CD-ROM (SCSI ID
6), an internal IBM UW hard drive (SCSI ID 0) and an external Plextor
PlexWriter 4X12 CD-W. Channel B contains 4 UW hard drives (SCSI IDs 8-11).

I had problems getting anywhere with the install until I changed the
internal CD-ROM SCSI ID from 4 to 6. I now install with the external CD-W
powered off. I boot off of the Driver Update 3 disks (config manager and
driver updates). When the drivers are loaded and Solaris boots, I get
through the various selection screens (bypassing OpenWindows config) to the
disk drive selection screen. The only drive shown available is the drive on
Channel A, the SCSI ID 0 drive. This drive has no free space, as it contains
Win 95, Win 98, Win NT and Linux.

I want to install to my SCSI ID 11 drive, which is totally empty. However,
no joy.

Is there an issue with the installation program not recognizing drives on
the B channel, or SCSI IDs beyond 7? It sure shows them when it asks me
which drive I want to initially boot Solaris install from. (where I choose
the CD-ROM to boot from the installation media)

Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to try and solve this by trail and
error; I already went through that with the CD-ROM SCSI ID.

Mike

--

Michael T. Reddy Jr

Remove SPAM-guard text from email address to reply

The opinions expressed are my own and not supported or endorsed
by my employer

Post by Mike Reddy Jr » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I am trying to install Solaris 2.6 on a PC with a Tyan 1836DLUAN
>motherboard. The SCSI interface is an Adaptec 7895 chipset.

>Channel A of the 7895 contains an internal Plextor UltraPlex CD-ROM (SCSI
ID
>6), an internal IBM UW hard drive (SCSI ID 0) and an external Plextor
>PlexWriter 4X12 CD-W. Channel B contains 4 UW hard drives (SCSI IDs 8-11).

>I had problems getting anywhere with the install until I changed the
>internal CD-ROM SCSI ID from 4 to 6. I now install with the external CD-W
>powered off. I boot off of the Driver Update 3 disks (config manager and
>driver updates). When the drivers are loaded and Solaris boots, I get
>through the various selection screens (bypassing OpenWindows config) to the
>disk drive selection screen. The only drive shown available is the drive on
>Channel A, the SCSI ID 0 drive. This drive has no free space, as it
contains
>Win 95, Win 98, Win NT and Linux.

>I want to install to my SCSI ID 11 drive, which is totally empty. However,
>no joy.

>Is there an issue with the installation program not recognizing drives on
>the B channel, or SCSI IDs beyond 7? It sure shows them when it asks me
>which drive I want to initially boot Solaris install from. (where I choose
>the CD-ROM to boot from the installation media)

>Any help would be appreciated. I'd hate to try and solve this by trail and
>error; I already went through that with the CD-ROM SCSI ID.

I reset all the SCSI ID's on channel B below 7. (using 1-4) When I hit disk
selection/partitioning, it now recognizes the drives. Seems like a pretty
silly way to run a railroad. Can anyone explain why Solaris ignores these,
when Linux and all the Windows OS do not?

Mike

--

Michael T. Reddy Jr

Remove SPAM-guard text from email address to reply

The opinions expressed are my own and not supported or endorsed
by my employer

Solaris 2.6 Install only recognizes SCSI ID 0 drive

Post by Chris Maurit » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to install Solaris 2.6 on a PC with a Tyan 1836DLUAN
> motherboard. The SCSI interface is an Adaptec 7895 chipset.
> Channel A of the 7895 contains an internal Plextor UltraPlex CD-ROM (SCSI ID
> 6), an internal IBM UW hard drive (SCSI ID 0) and an external Plextor
> PlexWriter 4X12 CD-W. Channel B contains 4 UW hard drives (SCSI IDs 8-11).

I'd suggest investing in a cheap 32X ATAPI cd-rom drive for the install.
I was having all kinds of problems getting 2.6 to install on a couple of
Tyan 1832D boards with Mylex BT-952 (dual fast/wide/ultra busses) and
a variety of SCSI CD-ROMS.  I happened to have a 32X TEAC ATAPI CD
drive laying around and tried that (with the DU3 disks) and everything
worked fine.

Historically, Slowlaris likes the CD to live on ID 6 and the boot drive
to live on ID 3, but 2.6 worked OK with the boot disk on 0 and the
ATAPI CD-ROM.

Chris

--
Crack the RSA RC5-64 encryption algorithm.  Use your idle cpu
cycles to take part in the fastest computer on the planet.

Post by Mike Reddy Jr » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I'd suggest investing in a cheap 32X ATAPI cd-rom drive for the install.
>I was having all kinds of problems getting 2.6 to install on a couple of
>Tyan 1832D boards with Mylex BT-952 (dual fast/wide/ultra busses) and
>a variety of SCSI CD-ROMS.  I happened to have a 32X TEAC ATAPI CD
>drive laying around and tried that (with the DU3 disks) and everything
>worked fine.

>Historically, Slowlaris likes the CD to live on ID 6 and the boot drive
>to live on ID 3, but 2.6 worked OK with the boot disk on 0 and the
>ATAPI CD-ROM.

I've successfully installed Solaris 2.6. It was a real pain in the tail,
because I had to re-configure my CD-ROM to SCSI ID 6 from 4, power off my
CD-W drive (an external that lives at SCSI ID 5) and reset the SCSI IDs on
my Channel B drives to 1-4, down from 8-11. I would never have thought that
Solaris would have such a problem. At least I didn't have to move the
Solaris drive to Channel A, which was a real worry. (Linux would probably
have been screwed up)

I use System Commander Deluxe as a boot controller, and it automagically
found Solaris and added it to the menu. There was a small wrinkle on boot;
the Solaris default boot drive had to be reset from the SCSI ID 0 drive
(where 95, 98, NT and Linux live) to SCSI ID 4 (where Solaris lives, with
its root fs).

I now have to change the CD-ROM drive letters in 95, 98 and NT. Hopefully
Linux won't have too much trouble. I'll just leave the CD-W powered off when
I use Solaris.

Unfortunately, Solaris doesn't seem to play well with the Tyan 1836DLUAN
BIOS. I suspect something with ACPI (even though I have disabled the two
ACPI settings) and ATX. Windows 95 (haven't yet tried 98 or NT) hangs after
This is only resolved if I re-load the BIOS settings, or unplug the power
cord.

Mike

--

Michael T. Reddy Jr

Remove SPAM-guard text from email address to reply

The opinions expressed are my own and not supported or endorsed
by my employer

Solaris 2.6 Install only recognizes SCSI ID 0 drive

Post by Russell Johnso » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Solaris 2.6 for Intel limited the SCSI ID scan to ID's 0..7 because not
all of the O/S HBA drivers could handle out of range ID's.  In Solaris
2.7, they have fixed this.  For example, if you change the cmdk.conf
file to scan for ID's > 7, the system will panic upon boot because the
IDE driver in Solaris 2.6 can't handle that.

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I now have to change the CD-ROM drive letters in 95, 98 and NT. Hopefully
>Linux won't have too much trouble. I'll just leave the CD-W powered off when
>I use Solaris.

Actually, all you have to do is edit the appropriate .conf file, to make
solaris ignore that SCSI ID.

Unfortunately, I know the correct file on sparc (/kernel/drv/sd.conf)
I do NOT know the correct file under x86.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

1. install new scsi drive on Solaris 2.6

 just installed a new 500mb SCSI disk to my  x86 Solaris 2.6
workstaton and I can format, partition, newfs it, but when I try to
mount the devices by using...

                     mount  /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s2  /software

                 I got this message,

                   mount:  /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s4 ....... not  a block
device.

I tried evrething according to the Sun doc but no available. Could you
help

neil

2. Question about High ARP load

3. Solaris 2.6 - Having trouble installing boot block on 4GB SCSI drive

4. Direct serial connection to Win95

5. How to add ZIP (SCSI) drive to Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6)

6. Need help with HP Monitor on a Linux box

7. How to add a DAT SCSI drive on Solaris 2.6 ???

8. Help w/Nachos

9. Mark Bad Sector on SCSI Drive (Solaris 2.6)

10. SCSI HD and Solaris 2.6 install wqith mirroring

11. Problem installing IDE Drive on Solaris 2.6 box - Half the advertised size

12. Problem installing external scsi on Solaris 2.6

13. Installing Solaris 2.6 on drive with existing DOS partitions