copy boot disc to a replacement boot disc -

copy boot disc to a replacement boot disc -

Post by susan » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Our boot disc is gradually giving up the ghost. I have a replacement disc to
fit into the server.

Is is possible to fit the new disc as a second disc and then do an image
copy from the original boot disc to the new one, such that I do not need to
install the OS from CDrom onto the new disc?????

TIA

Susana

Post by Ian Diddam » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Our boot disc is gradually giving up the ghost. I have a replacement disc to
>fit into the server.

>Is is possible to fit the new disc as a second disc and then do an image
>copy from the original boot disc to the new one, such that I do not need to
>install the OS from CDrom onto the new disc?????

>TIA

>Susana

Should be possible.

You could try dd, or even ufsdump piped to ufsrestore...  (I've seen it done
somewhere on sunsolve...)

You'll probably need to run installboot.

1. how to copy boot disk to hard disk

The partition table for my hard drive which containts the /boot
directory has been destroyed. I would like to create another /boot
partition on the other IDE disk so that I may use it to boot LILO.
However, once I've created this partition, how do I put the correct
files into it? Can I just copy over the files from the boot disk?

2. panic: don't do that ?

3. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

4. Can mod_rewrite add new HTTP headers?

5. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

6. How to print file larger than 1Meg?

7. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

8. OpenWindows mailprint?

9. what different between boot disk, root disk and emergency disk???

10. Boot Disk, Rescue disk, Start-up Disk

11. help with replacement of boot disk "/" on Ultra 5

12. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.