Q:forgot the root password on ss10.how to get in as root?

Q:forgot the root password on ss10.how to get in as root?

Post by Mahe » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 03:02:50

HI
one of our users forgot the root password on his standalone sparc station 10 .
we are running sol 2.3.
How do we get in as root in this situation?
Any pointers or help is appreciated.
I couldn't find this in faq :)
Thanks
Mahesh

Q:forgot the root password on ss10.how to get in as root?

Post by Paris Bingham [Sun Denver SS » Sun, 19 Jun 1994 07:43:34

There's actually a couple of things you can try (in order, least pain to more):

1.  Try booting the machine in single-user mode and then edit out (remove) the
    encrypted password for root in the /etc/shadow file.  This will leave root
    with no password.

        Example:        root:asdfasdfs: .........
                                ^
                                |-------------This is the encrypted password.

    Continue the boot process into multi-user mode or just reboot.  Login as
    root and pick a new password (passwd or nispasswd as appropriate).

    You may have a problem booting single-user if the PROM is set up for
    secure mode.  This requires a password to boot single-user.

2.  Boot the miniroot from the Solaris 2.3 CD and mount the real root partition
    onto, say, /mnt.  Do as above by editing /mnt/etc/shadow.

WARNING:  This blatant editing of the shadow file may cause problems if you are
          running with NIS+ and credentials.  The credentials are based on the
          current user password.

        Hope this helps,
                Paris Bingham

Disclaimer:  All that I say and do here is strictly of my own opinion and reflects
             nothing, nowhere, nohow.

Post by Antonio Vasconcel » Mon, 20 Jun 1994 01:30:56

: HI
: one of our users forgot the root password on his standalone sparc station 10 .
: we are running sol 2.3.
: How do we get in as root in this situation?
: Any pointers or help is appreciated.
: I couldn't find this in faq :)

Boot from the 2.3 cdrom...
--
regards,

<<< Boot in the root! BAT in a FAT! Backup,backup,DAT,DAT,DAT >>>