Problem Booting Seagate ST15230N on a SPARC-10

Problem Booting Seagate ST15230N on a SPARC-10

Post by TS » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am having trouble trying to use a Seagate ST15230N as a boot disk on a
SPARC-10 running Solaris 2.5.1.
I can format it and it appears to load the Initial OS Load.  Upon reboot I
get "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error message.  Any ideas???

Problem Booting Seagate ST15230N on a SPARC-10

Post by Noon » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am having trouble trying to use a Seagate ST15230N as a boot disk on a
> SPARC-10 running Solaris 2.5.1.
> I can format it and it appears to load the Initial OS Load.  Upon reboot I
> get "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error message.  Any ideas???

Did you install the boot block (installboot)?

Post by Martin Pau » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I am having trouble trying to use a Seagate ST15230N as a boot disk on a
> SPARC-10 running Solaris 2.5.1.
> I can format it and it appears to load the Initial OS Load.  Upon reboot I
> get "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error message.  Any ideas???

Make sure your root partition is completely in the first 2 GB
of the harddisk, I'm pretty sure that's not the case now.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

Problem Booting Seagate ST15230N on a SPARC-10

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>I am having trouble trying to use a Seagate ST15230N as a boot disk on a
>SPARC-10 running Solaris 2.5.1.
>I can format it and it appears to load the Initial OS Load.  Upon reboot I
>get "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error message.  Any ideas???

The solaris FAQ says:

5.60) I installed Solaris on a big disk, but now booting fails.

    Due to limitations in Openboot PROMs, you can't boot any of the 32bit
    SPARCs (sun4c, sun4m, sun4d) from a root partition that has parts lying
    beyond the 2GB mark on a SCSI disk.

    On systems with really old PROMs (revision 2.5 or less) you need to
    make the root partition smaller than 1GB.

    The Ultra PROMs are capable of this, but Solaris prior to version 2.6
    also has a bug which effectively prevents Ultras from booting from
    large root partitions too.  Patch 103640-08 or later fixes this
    for Solaris 2.5.1, so later 2.5.1 HW releases should be OK too.

    Typical error messages include:

    bootblk: can't find the boot program
    boot: cannot find misc/krtld
    Short read.  0x2000 chars read
    Read error.

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
<http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/>

be fiction rather than truth.

1. Adding 4GB disk Seagate ST15230N to Sparc 20

Hello,

I have a Sparc 20 and I can't seem to get it to see my 4GB seagate
ST15230N scsi disk unless it's on scsi id 6.  Any other address and I can see
it with a probe-scsi but not from the os when I try and run format.  Has
anyone encountered this before or know of any firmware or patch that can solve
this? I'm running SunOS 5.4

Dino Sims
Aeronomics Incorporated

2. popper err=111

3. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

4. ANNOUNCE: FAQ for Linux (second attempt)

5. problems accessing Seagate ST15230N Hawk4 4GB

6. linux display question.

7. Sparc 10 vs. P3 800MHz - Web Server (and Sparc 10 value)

8. Problem Masquerading mails

9. Upgrade SPARC-2 --> SPARC-10

10. Boot problem with Sparc 10

11. Sparc-1 frame buffer in Sparc-10?

12. Does the IOMEGA JAZ drive work with SPARC-4, SPARC-10 running , solaris?

13. Sparc-1 frame buffer in Sparc-10?