Solaris 2.8 rel 7/01 crashes load CD!

Post by wayne rasmusse » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:41:46

Having a "Fun" time dealing with sun tech support.  Recently got a cd
from a vendor of ours and put it in a SunBlade1000 with DVD, and the
system crashed.  Strange.

So I tried the CD in a Ultra 5, 2.8 rel 7/01 CD and it crashes as well.

Finaly, put the Cd into Ultra 1, 2.6 5/98 CD and it appears to mount the
CD, however no files appear on the CD.

The CD has only 1 file, a plain text file ~364MB in size.  I just love
sun technical support.  Loaded the patch they wanted, no improvement.
Then, per his suggestion, loaded a sun CD without any problems, and
after a few phone calls and several emails, the tech said, "Hey it must
be that CD that is the culprit".  No #$%ing Sh!t there is a problem
here.  And the comment "Don't use that CD" doesn't really help.

Post by Martin Pau » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:51:18

> The CD has only 1 file, a plain text file ~364MB in size.  I just love
> sun technical support.  Loaded the patch they wanted, no improvement.
> Then, per his suggestion, loaded a sun CD without any problems, and
> after a few phone calls and several emails, the tech said, "Hey it must
> be that CD that is the culprit".  No #$%ing Sh!t there is a problem
> here.  And the comment "Don't use that CD" doesn't really help.

I can understand that you are not amused, but the obvious question
must be allowed - have you contacted the vendor that provided the CD,
when this is the real culprit ? Have you tried it on a wintel PC ?

I've had bad CDs which weren't (completely) readable under Solaris,
too, mostly due to mistakes make when burning them, but I haven't
seen a machine crash in such a case. I once got my E450 pretty upset
though when putting a CD-RW into its CD-drive. Kept spinning, and it
took quite some time until it reacted to the eject button again.
This was most probably due to the age of the drive, which doesn't
support CD-RW media, so basically it was my fault anyway.

mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01 4277 38803
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01 4277 9388

Post by wayne rasmusse » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:14:46

> > The CD has only 1 file, a plain text file ~364MB in size.  I just love
> > sun technical support.  Loaded the patch they wanted, no improvement.
> > Then, per his suggestion, loaded a sun CD without any problems, and
> > after a few phone calls and several emails, the tech said, "Hey it must
> > be that CD that is the culprit".  No #$%ing Sh!t there is a problem
> > here.  And the comment "Don't use that CD" doesn't really help.

> I can understand that you are not amused, but the obvious question
> must be allowed - have you contacted the vendor that provided the CD,
> when this is the real culprit ? Have you tried it on a wintel PC ?

Tried PCs with various O/S.  one NT system can read it.  My win98 system
copies about 2/3 of the disk then gets and error.  The vendor recently
upgraded their PC to win2000 and got easy cd creator.  They think that is the
problem.  Still.  My fear, is that somewhere at one of our government
customers put in a CD in a server and ...

Once again if it were mearly unreadability, that is fine.  Servers crashing
is maybe just a tad worse.

Quote:

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 18:58:30

>>....  And the comment "Don't use that CD" doesn't really help.

>I can understand that you are not amused, but the obvious question
>must be allowed - have you contacted the vendor that provided the CD,
>when this is the real culprit ?

uhhh, no. The people providing drivers that crash on bad input, are
"the real culprit". That would be Sun.
I hope someone from sun is listening and has filed a bugid on this.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:43:05

>>>....  And the comment "Don't use that CD" doesn't really help.

>>I can understand that you are not amused, but the obvious question
>>must be allowed - have you contacted the vendor that provided the CD,
>>when this is the real culprit ?

>uhhh, no. The people providing drivers that crash on bad input, are
>"the real culprit". That would be Sun.
>I hope someone from sun is listening and has filed a bugid on this.

If they don"t get access to the CD or at least to an image of the CD
there is no chance to search for the problem.

--

Post by wayne rasmusse » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:48:51

> >>I can understand that you are not amused, but the obvious question
> >>must be allowed - have you contacted the vendor that provided the CD,
> >>when this is the real culprit ?

> >uhhh, no. The people providing drivers that crash on bad input, are
> >"the real culprit". That would be Sun.
> >I hope someone from sun is listening and has filed a bugid on this.

> If they don"t get access to the CD or at least to an image of the CD
> there is no chance to search for the problem.

Got a second CD from the same vendor and it has the same problems.  I asked sun if
they would like to look at the CDs but haven't gotten a positive response to this
yet...

Solaris 2.8 rel 7/01 crashes load CD!

Post by singpg » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:04:16

May be its trying to automatically mount the CD using vold daemon. May
be you can stop the vold daemon & mount it manually by using different
filesystems (hsfs,cdrfs etc) & test . Could be hang or crash bcos the
CD FS was not supported by the OS.

Regards