Need help with DNS

Post by Timothy J. L » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

|I finally got my Solaris box to connect to my ISP w/ PPP.  (I used the
|pppd from ANU.)
|
|ifconfig ppp0 looks fine.  The ppplog shows I'm connected with IP
|address assigned.  I can ping the terminal fine.
|
|I can't resolve any hostnames that aren't in my own /etc/hosts files
|and I can't ping anything past the terminal, even when using the IP
|address.

1.  Edit /etc/resolv.conf to add the DNS servers (see "man resolv.conf").
    Ask your ISP for the IP addresses of the DNS servers.

2.  Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf to use dns as well as files for the hosts
    lookup.

Need help with DNS

Post by Timothy J. L » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

|(Timothy J. Lee) expounded:
|
|[snip]
|
|Timothy, you're a saint.  I really appreciate you always jumping in to
|help an old man. :-)
|>
|>1.  Edit /etc/resolv.conf to add the DNS servers (see "man resolv.conf").
|>    Ask your ISP for the IP addresses of the DNS servers.
|
|I've done that already.  Have all three nameservers (IP addresses) in
|there along with our campus DNS server.
|>
|>2.  Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf to use dns as well as files for the hosts
|>    lookup.
|
|Done that already too.  That's what's got me stumped.  I've gone
|through all the man pages, read the documentation, followed every step
|carefully, but I've obviously missed a file or config somewhere.
|
|I can ping the remote IP just fine.  Just can't ping anything else in
|the world.

What happens if you add the remote IP as a default router (see
"man route"; the command is starts with "route add default" or something
like that; I don't have a Solaris computer handy here)?  Note that the
/etc/defaultrouter file causes the default router(s) to be added at
boot time.

Disclaimer:  I have not used PPP on Solaris.

Need help with DNS

Post by Brando » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

It sounds like you don't have the default route (0.0.0.0) going throught your
ppp connection.  check netstat -rn
You can have it set up automatically by specifying the defaultroute option to
pppd or route add default <remote machine>

> |(Timothy J. Lee) expounded:
> |
> |[snip]
> |
> |Timothy, you're a saint.  I really appreciate you always jumping in to
> |help an old man. :-)
> |>
> |>1.  Edit /etc/resolv.conf to add the DNS servers (see "man resolv.conf").
> |>    Ask your ISP for the IP addresses of the DNS servers.
> |
> |I've done that already.  Have all three nameservers (IP addresses) in
> |there along with our campus DNS server.
> |>
> |>2.  Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf to use dns as well as files for the hosts
> |>    lookup.
> |
> |Done that already too.  That's what's got me stumped.  I've gone
> |through all the man pages, read the documentation, followed every step
> |carefully, but I've obviously missed a file or config somewhere.
> |
> |I can ping the remote IP just fine.  Just can't ping anything else in
> |the world.

> What happens if you add the remote IP as a default router (see
> "man route"; the command is starts with "route add default" or something
> like that; I don't have a Solaris computer handy here)?  Note that the
> /etc/defaultrouter file causes the default router(s) to be added at
> boot time.

> Disclaimer:  I have not used PPP on Solaris.

> --

> Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com
> No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

Need help with DNS

Post by Steve Bellen » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I can ping the remote IP just fine.  Just can't ping anything else in
>the world.  It's like I'm connected to that host and it's disconnected
>from the network.  I'm sure I've overlooked something somewhere.  I'm
>studying O'Reilly (TCP/IP) now to see if I can stumble across it.

What is the remote IP? could it be a machine that is not set to
router packets? Telnet to remote IP if can and look at its routing
tables. Even if the route back is in the remote IP machines routing
table, it may not be broadcasting the route so no other machine
knows to send him the packets. Even if the route is know and being
broadcasted, the packets could be dropped because ip_forwarding is
turn off at the remote IP.

--

Need help with DNS

Post by Stephanie Johnso » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I finally got my Solaris box to connect to my ISP w/ PPP.  (I used the
> pppd from ANU.)

> ifconfig ppp0 looks fine.  The ppplog shows I'm connected with IP
> address assigned.  I can ping the terminal fine.

> I can't resolve any hostnames that aren't in my own /etc/hosts files
> and I can't ping anything past the terminal, even when using the IP
> address.

> I'm sure it's something simple I'm just ignorant of.  Anyone want to
> point a newbie in the right direction?

> http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
> Life is too short to take it seriously.

 There is a file called /etc/nsswitch.conf . Check that file to make sure
dns has been added to hosts line.

example:

hosts:        files  dns

Need help with DNS

Post by Scott Walte » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: I can ping the remote IP just fine.  Just can't ping anything else in
: the world.  It's like I'm connected to that host and it's disconnected
: from the network.  I'm sure I've overlooked something somewhere.  I'm
: studying O'Reilly (TCP/IP) now to see if I can stumble across it.

this definitely looks like an issue of your default route.  if you do a `netstat -rn` your default
route should be that of the one indicated in your pppd remote IP.  if it is not, your machine will not
be sending packets it can't route itself to the correct gateway.  i would imagine the pppd should set
the correct default route for you upon connection.

I used asppp from sun and got dialup to work.  it was a *REAL* pain.  I got it to connect after many
hours of struggling, but if i ever dropped the link i had to reboot the machine to get the correct
default gateway in the routing table (netstat -rn).  i tried flushing the table and reconnecting but
it seemed like only the FIRST time i connected would the correct default route get set.  so i have
felt your dialup pain ;)  i came the conclusion that Suns are just not made for dialup, their real
home is on a LAN.

if you `man route` you can prob figure out how to set the default route by hand (once you have
connected and gotten the remote IP).  i can't remember the syntax off of the top of my head.

looking over your logs below your ifconfig and messages ppplog seem a bit out of sync, where these
snipped from two different sessions?

: ppp0: flags=8d1<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
:         inet 207.136.52.98 --> 206.66.0.38 netmask ffffff00

: May 30 17:24:15 baldeagle pppd[430]: local  IP address 207.136.54.171
: May 30 17:24:15 baldeagle pppd[430]: remote IP address 206.66.0.47

the local and remote IP of the ppp0 interface and that of the log are different.

--
Scott Walters
Packet Pusher

1. Need help for DNS resolver

I have configured my resolv.conf file on my Sparc 5 Solaris 7 station , when
I execute a nslookup on a target all is ok but when I wanna ping the same
target I obtain Host Unknown, there is anything else to configure ?? I'm
behind a wingate under linux with ip masquerading. I can't use netscape on
Solaris (HOST UNKNOWN :-(() Someone could help me to finish my network
configuration.

ip Sparc : 192.168.0.30
ip wingate (linux) : 192.168.0.10
My own local domain : defcon.corp
My external DNS : 195.132.0.193 & 195.132.0.132

Thx.

2. Fwd: Favorite settings for US Rob. Sportster 28.8 Ext. w/OS5

3. Need Help on DNS configuration

4. Miro 20SD

5. I need help with DNS

6. XFree86

7. Need help with DNS

8. Indian Hill Style Sheet

9. Newbie needs help with DNS: Can't get host lookup

10. Need help with DNS resolution

11. Need help on DNS MX record setting

12. Need help locating DNS files for Yggdrasil dist.

13. Need help on DNS on OS5.0