Networking

Post by Jack Sander » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:30:43

I am considering reloading the Solaris 8 OS in order to make sure that I
have all networking tools/software installed. When I first loaded the OS,
the I did not have a network cable plugged into the computer.  The
installation program asked me if this computer would ever be on a network. I
answered "No." So, maybe come networking files weren't loaded.

Is there a way to find out if all networking files are installed and
available? It would save me at least a half day.

Thanks,

Jack

Networking

Post by jimm » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:00:41

its extreemly unlikely that solaris was installed witout network support.
also, considering that you get lo0 when you do an ifconfig tells me that the
tcp stack is installed.  which prety much tells me that the networking
components are installed.

in addition, even when solaris isn't using a physical network, parts of the
operating system itself use tcpip to comunicate. this makes not installing
network support prohibitivly difficult

try this,

run this command
# prtconf
    this prints the driver configuration for your system you should see
lines that resemble the following

            pci108e,1000 (driver not attached)
            SUNW,qfe, instance #0

the second line here is whats important,  it should be read as follows

this system is using a driver from SUNW called qfe with instance #0

then run this command

ifconfig qfe plumb

then ifconfig -a

you should see qfe0 now as an interface.

you are also going to have some other problems

interfaces will not be configured at boot time
    to fix this, put an entry in /etc/hosts as follows

Quote:>ip address<    >interface name<

for example to set up hme0's address as 10.10.10.1 add the following to
/etc/hosts

10.10.10.1    hme0

then, create a file called /etc/hostnmae.>interface name<

for example if your interface is hme0, you would create a file called
"hostname.hme0"

in that file, put the name of the interface as seen in the hosts file

following our earlier example,

you would have the following

in /etc/hosts
10.10.10.1    hme0

in /etc/hostname.hme0
hme0

also, name resolution probibly isn't set up,
    to fix this, vi /etc/nsswitch.conf

find the line that reads

hosts    files

modify it to read

hosts    files    dns

then populate /etc/resolv.conf as follows

domainname    >domainname<

nameserver    >dns server 1<
nameserver    >dns server 2<

Quote:> I am considering reloading the Solaris 8 OS in order to make sure that I
> have all networking tools/software installed. When I first loaded the OS,
> the I did not have a network cable plugged into the computer.  The
> installation program asked me if this computer would ever be on a network.
> answered "No." So, maybe come networking files weren't loaded.

> Is there a way to find out if all networking files are installed and
> available? It would save me at least a half day.

> Thanks,

> Jack

1. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

Hi,

I know this newsgroup gets overwhelmed lately with questions about
PPP under Solaris, so I hope some of you still have energy to answer
this one.

I got the SunSolve Document infodoc/11976. In section 3.6 of this
document ( describing net-to-net ) it is clearly written that the
proposed config does NOT work if both parties share the same network
portion of the IP address.

So my question is, what has to change if both have the same network
portion of the IP address ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.
David.

2. Newbie: Question on X server setup

3. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

4. uninstalling linux

5. Share USB printer over network Mac/Linux network?

6. dhcpd problem

7. Network statistic Network statistic

8. seti@home for Alpha

9. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

10. Networking 101 Part 2: Revenge Of Networking

11. Network sockets... without network!

12. network boot disk/root fs for networking

13. testing network card without being connected to a network?