more lines in unix...

Post by onlineviewe » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:58:30

Hello All,

I have a .file which i do some processing on,
when it is all done it comes out to 10,000 lines. I check
that with wc -l. When i open this file in excel(windows) it comes
up with 9,987 lines. I dont understand why this is the case.
I know that the correct amount should be 10,000.
Anyone have some info for me please?

Thanks again,

more lines in unix...

Post by Giorgos Keramida » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 04:13:52

Quote:> Hello All,

> I have a .file which i do some processing on, when it is all
> done it comes out to 10,000 lines. I check that with wc -l.
> When i open this file in excel(windows) it comes up with 9,987
> lines. I dont understand why this is the case.

> I know that the correct amount should be 10,000.

> Anyone have some info for me please?

It looks like Excel is skipping some lines, but I'm not sure why
it would do that.  Have you converted the file to DOS-format with
unix2dos or a similar script?  It is possible that Excel gets
confused by the UNIX newlines in the original file.

more lines in unix...

Post by onlineviewe » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 04:33:55

I tried unix2dos, and when i open it with excel it turns out to be over
65,000 lines
and excel gives me an error: I converted with :

unix2dos FILEOUT.log FILEOUT.txt

Post by fakeu.. » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:21:29

>Hello All,

>I have a .file which i do some processing on,
>when it is all done it comes out to 10,000 lines. I check
>that with wc -l. When i open this file in excel(windows) it comes
>up with 9,987 lines. I dont understand why this is the case.
>I know that the correct amount should be 10,000.
>Anyone have some info for me please?

>Thanks again,

Spreadsheet programs sometimes (often?) have hard limits on the things
like the number of rows/columns/items, the number of data points in a
graph and the like.

A very early Excel silently limited me to displaying only the first 100
data points of time series in a graph. I've run other spreadsheets out
of rows over the years. Try a different spreadsheet, check to see if
Excel truncated the input file silently.
--
Steven Bellenot                 http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot
Professor and Associate Chair    office: 223 Love, (850) 644-7405
Department of Mathematics         email: bellenot at math.fsu.edu
Florida State University,          Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510 USA

more lines in unix...

Post by Chris Rid » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:56:19

>> Hello All,

>> I have a .file which i do some processing on,
>> when it is all done it comes out to 10,000 lines. I check
>> that with wc -l. When i open this file in excel(windows) it comes
>> up with 9,987 lines. I dont understand why this is the case.
>> I know that the correct amount should be 10,000.
>> Anyone have some info for me please?

>> Thanks again,

> Spreadsheet programs sometimes (often?) have hard limits on the things
> like the number of rows/columns/items, the number of data points in a
> graph and the like.

Excel's limit is 65536 rows (256 cols) per sheet, which is well above
the 10000 lines claimed by onlineviewer.

Cheers,

Chris

more lines in unix...

Post by Sun_Powere » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:22:00

>>> Hello All,

>>> I have a .file which i do some processing on,
>>> when it is all done it comes out to 10,000 lines. I check
>>> that with wc -l. When i open this file in excel(windows) it comes
>>> up with 9,987 lines. I dont understand why this is the case.
>>> I know that the correct amount should be 10,000.
>>> Anyone have some info for me please?

>>> Thanks again,

>> Spreadsheet programs sometimes (often?) have hard limits on the things
>> like the number of rows/columns/items, the number of data points in a
>> graph and the like.

> Excel's limit is 65536 rows (256 cols) per sheet, which is well above
> the 10000 lines claimed by onlineviewer.

> Cheers,

> Chris

While it's true Excel has a MAXIMUM of 65,536 rows--unless it's been
changed, it still requires the PC to have enough physical memory (RAM)
to hold all that data in memory at one time.

So my guess is that either the PC doesn't have enough memory, OR, like
the other posted said, Excel is dropping some lines when it inputs the file.

1. Unix Plug-ins?

Is it possible to create external code files in Unix?

No, I'm not thinking of libraries (static or shared),
nor am I referring to full applications called after
a fork()/exec() pair.

I'm interested in opening some kind of file, read it into
memory, and jump to it.  Is this possible in Unix?

Thanks,

  Dave.

             The Alt.Sources.Mac Archivist
     <http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/alt.sources.mac/>
    <ftp://ftp.AmbrosiaSW.com/pub/alt.sources.mac/>

2. Ultra10/Solaris 8, format sees 60GB ST360015A disk as only being 24GB

3. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

4. can i disable mail/mailbox?

5. Unix Libraries Ins/Outs

6. Ok, ok. Ignore me. I deserve it. I'm sure there is some FAQ somewhere . . .

7. unix shell script to access a file line by line

8. What is spooldir file lock mechanism for mail?

9. CAN I FTP FILES FROM UNIX TO NOVELL SERVERS USING THE UNIX COMMAND LINE???

10. filecopying unix-unix over telephone line ?

11. Unix-to-unix over serial line?

12. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

13. line by line reading of the lines in list