headless boot of Ultra60

Post by Jason Hutchiso » Fri, 04 May 2001 04:23:44

We have a dual processor Ultra60 running SunOS 5.8.  We are having the
hardest time getting it to boot headless.  It only boots if there is a
keyboard connected to it. ??  We have looked at the eeprom settings and
tried to change input and output device to ttya and the same thing happens.
It just hangs at reboot.  The real kicker is that we have other boxes that
will boot headless.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

headless boot of Ultra60

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 04 May 2001 07:05:00

> We have a dual processor Ultra60 running SunOS 5.8.  We are having the
> hardest time getting it to boot headless.  It only boots if there is a
> keyboard connected to it. ??  We have looked at the eeprom settings and
> tried to change input and output device to ttya and the same thing happens.
> It just hangs at reboot.  The real kicker is that we have other boxes that
> will boot headless.  Does anyone have any ideas?

It *should* work with input and output set to keyboard and screen.  The OBP
will detect that there's no keyboard, and boot using TTY A as the console.

That said, I've come across a few machines that also refuse to boot headless,
even though the settings are right...

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

headless boot of Ultra60

Post by Charlie Smi » Fri, 04 May 2001 07:14:26

>We have a dual processor Ultra60 running SunOS 5.8.  We are having the
>hardest time getting it to boot headless.  It only boots if there is a
>keyboard connected to it. ??  We have looked at the eeprom settings and
>tried to change input and output device to ttya and the same thing happens.
>It just hangs at reboot.  The real kicker is that we have other boxes that
>will boot headless.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Try resetting the eeprom to default values.

Have you tried booting it with a null modem cable on serial port A?
There has to be something causing the boot to fail, that you might see
on the serial device.

    Charlie Smith

headless boot of Ultra60

Post by Jason Hutchiso » Fri, 04 May 2001 07:17:13

Quote:> Try resetting the eeprom to default values.

> Have you tried booting it with a null modem cable on serial port A?
> There has to be something causing the boot to fail, that you might see
> on the serial device.

>     Charlie Smith

Yes we reset the eeprom defaults and booted with a null modem cable on
serial port A.  It still hangs.

headless boot of Ultra60

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 04 May 2001 08:32:39

>We have a dual processor Ultra60 running SunOS 5.8.  We are having the
>hardest time getting it to boot headless.  It only boots if there is a
>keyboard connected to it. ??  We have looked at the eeprom settings and
>tried to change input and output device to ttya and the same thing happens.
>It just hangs at reboot.  The real kicker is that we have other boxes that
>will boot headless.  Does anyone have any ideas?

The only thing in the hardware or Solaris that might cause this
is if the eeprom has ttya-ignore-cd set to false.  Set it to true
and try it.

If that doesn't help, it's usually some add-on software that has
built-in dependency on /dev/console being a frame buffer rather
than a serial port.

The test is to see if it'll boot into single-user mode with
only the RS232 terminal on the ttya port.  If that works:

  Check /etc/vfstab for bad nfs mounts

  Check /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc3.d for startup scripts for add-on
  software.  Rename those scripts (e.g. "mv S99db DISABLED-S99db")
  and see if you can boot into multi-user mode.  Rename the scripts
  back one at a time to find the culprit.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

headless boot of Ultra60

Post by Mark Sturtevan » Fri, 04 May 2001 14:39:10

You may want to try and flash the eeprom if it's not at the latest
(OBP_3.29.0,POST_2.0.3,OBDIAG_1.3),  there is a bug that is fixed (Bugid
4195321: Serial port A not working correctly.), you may be running into it.
It's patch 106455-10.  If that doesn't work and it still has the frame
buffer in the system you may want to try removing it to see if that is what
is causing it not to use ttya.  I've done this with Ultra 30's and have had
no problems, also I believe the E220R is the same basic system,  (eeprom
anyway) so I would think it should work.

> >We have a dual processor Ultra60 running SunOS 5.8.  We are having the
> >hardest time getting it to boot headless.  It only boots if there is a
> >keyboard connected to it. ??  We have looked at the eeprom settings and
> >tried to change input and output device to ttya and the same thing
happens.
> >It just hangs at reboot.  The real kicker is that we have other boxes
that
> >will boot headless.  Does anyone have any ideas?

> The only thing in the hardware or Solaris that might cause this
> is if the eeprom has ttya-ignore-cd set to false.  Set it to true
> and try it.

> If that doesn't help, it's usually some add-on software that has
> built-in dependency on /dev/console being a frame buffer rather
> than a serial port.

> The test is to see if it'll boot into single-user mode with
> only the RS232 terminal on the ttya port.  If that works:

>   Check /etc/vfstab for bad nfs mounts

>   Check /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc3.d for startup scripts for add-on
>   software.  Rename those scripts (e.g. "mv S99db DISABLED-S99db")
>   and see if you can boot into multi-user mode.  Rename the scripts
>   back one at a time to find the culprit.

>   -Greg
> --

> I have a map of the United States that's actual size
> -- Steven Wright

1. Ultra60: Can't open boot device problem

Hello all,
I got a problem with my Ultra 60 when I installed Solaris. Here is what it
said on the screen after I boot it from cdrom:

{0} ok boot cdrom

Drive not ready
Can't open disk label
Can't open boot device

Since the drives are all Sun swap drives (but pulled out from External SCSI
box, which attached to Win2000 server). so I thought I should try to format
them by using commnand boot cdrom -s, but still got the same problem.

Can anyone out there give me some advice on this. I knew for sure that those
drive are working perfectly OK from PC ...

Thanks alot in advance.
-V

2. File editing problems with Caldera Open Linux V1.2 Base

3. Ultra60 Boot Problem

4. VideoCard SiS530/5595 XProblem

5. Help: How to boot Ultra60 box into standalone mode (without network)

6. portmap failure

7. Can a desktop sized RS6000 be booted headless?

8. Can I -display to multiple displays?

9. Headless multia boot problem

10. ultra5 headless/keyboardless boot (rackmountable)?

11. Booting headless?

12. Booting (MkLinux) headless?

13. Linux boot says "You Entered The Wrong Mode Number" , and board is headless