Newbie Question - Dual NIC Config

Post by d.. » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm having some problems configuring a multi interface system and was
hoping someone could help me?

I installed Solaris 2.5.1 and config'ed hme0 with no problem. Next I
created a hostname.hme1 file, made an addition to the hosts file and
then config'ed the interface with ifconfig giving it an ip address,
netmask, added a default route then up'ed the interface. Everything
worked perfectly.

But...when I reboot, hme1 picks up the wrong netmask. I tried adding
the subnet, 255.255.255.224, to the netmask file. Everyting seemed to
be fine but again when I reboot the system and typed netstat -rn, the
default route lost its associated interface. If I delete the route and
then re-add it, everything's fine.

Can someone tell me why this is happening?

Newbie Question - Dual NIC Config

Post by Vivek Khindr » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

As far as I know Variable length subnet masks (VLSM) are not supported
in Solaris 2.5.1, but will be supported in Solaris 2.6.  I saw VLSM
listed as one of new features of Solaris 2.6.

I need more information, but based on the information presented so
far, you may have a Class B Address that has been carved up using the
netmask 255.255.255.224 .  At boot upyour are gettgin a class B
netmask, but after manualy deleting it and adding it you are actually
getting a class C netmask.

Follow-up questions:   What is the output of ifconfig -a  after a
boot?  What is the output of ifconfig -a after you delete and re-add
the netmask?  What subnet types can  your  router  handling (i.e.
?class C ?VLSM ?ClassB ?Supernetting on ClassC?) ?

Vivek Khindria

[I'm having some problems configuring a multi interface system and was
[hoping someone could help me?

[I installed Solaris 2.5.1 and config'ed hme0 with no problem. Next I
[created a hostname.hme1 file, made an addition to the hosts file and
[then config'ed the interface with ifconfig giving it an ip address,
[netmask, added a default route then up'ed the interface. Everything
[worked perfectly.

[But...when I reboot, hme1 picks up the wrong netmask. I tried adding
[the subnet, 255.255.255.224, to the netmask file. Everyting seemed to
[be fine but again when I reboot the system and typed netstat -rn, the
[default route lost its associated interface. If I delete the route
and
[then re-add it, everything's fine.

[Can someone tell me why this is happening?

1. Newbie question - Dual NIC config?

I'm having some problems configuring a multi interface system and was
hoping someone could help me?

I installed Solaris 2.5.1 and config'ed hme0 with no problem. Next I
created a hostname.hme1 file, made an addition to the hosts file and
then config'ed the interface with ifconfig giving it an ip address,
netmask, added a default route then up'ed the interface. Everything
worked perfectly.

But...when I reboot, hme1 picks up the wrong netmask. I tried adding
the subnet, 255.255.255.224, to the netmask file. Everyting seemed to
be fine but again when I reboot the system and typed netstat -rn, the
default route lost its associated interface. If I delete the route and
then re-add it, everything's fine.

Can someone tell me why this is happening?

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 3 of 6)

3. config and use PCMCIA NIC on laptop (newbie question)

4. HP LaseJet4m printing problem under 5.5.1

5. Can't config dual cardbus NIC on RH7.1

6. problem with HP 720c printer

7. newbie routing problem / dual NIC

8. CDE won't start after reboot

9. Cable modems, Dual NICs, and Newbies