Installing Solaris 2.6 on drive with existing DOS partitions

Installing Solaris 2.6 on drive with existing DOS partitions

Post by Paul vd » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Solaris is having a problem installing on my 8GB hard drive. I currently
have the first 2GB set aside for Win95. The next 2GB is an extended dos
partition added later since I needed more space. The last 4GB is not
assigned.
After booting from the disk, I select to install from the CD. It begins
stops and reboots. I couldn't catch the complete message but I believe it
said it couldn't set up a partition.
In the troubleshooting material I am told that Solaris requires the first
1024 cylinders of the disk, but the FAQ says that you can install it
anywhere, if you BIOS supports LBA(which mine does).

What do I do?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

1. Format/Install procedure.. Solaris 2.6 over existing OS.???

Hello..

thanks to all who replyed to my last post.

My next and hopefully final step.

The system I got up and running has an old OS installed on it.  It was
installed by the person who had the machine before me.
1.  the machine won't finish the boot process because I don't have it on the
net.  It keeps looking for the network.  Can i override this?
2.  When i do get it to boot, I can't log in because i don't know the root
password.
3.  I want to install Solaris 2.6 on this machine.  First I must format the
HD.  What procedure should I take to format it? I assume the format routine
will need to read the format.dat file on the existing system to format the
drive correctly.  Am i right?

Should I format under 2.6 miniroot?
what are the steps of format?

I hope this wasn't too much to swallow at once.  Basicly the mahine has
4.1.2 installed and I don't know the passwords.  i want to reformat the
drive and install 2.6.

thanks

Peter

2. hgafb.c as module (unresolved symbol) 2.4.6+

3. mount new DOS drive in solaris 2.6 pb

4. Does command line have a limit?

5. Trouble preserving existing DOS partition during install of OS5

6. Midnight Commander and colour

7. Solaris 2.6 install - UNIX partitions *newbie*

8. WTD RS6000 memory

9. how much space root partition could have if I want to install solaris 2.6

10. How do I install Linux on a HD with existing dos extended drives?

11. install new scsi drive on Solaris 2.6

12. Solaris 2.6 Install only recognizes SCSI ID 0 drive

13. Problem installing IDE Drive on Solaris 2.6 box - Half the advertised size