Simple Solaris DLPI question?

1. Simple DLPI question.... maybe.

        Hello,

        I am attempting to write a routine that will fetch the ethernet (MAC)
        address from any ethernet interfaces mounted on a system (supporting
        DLPI). No, I don't want to use ether_hostton().

        A point of confusion for me was first trying to determine what
        interfaces exist on the system. I found that using ioctl(SIOCGIFCONF)
        will do the trick. However, now I am trying to figure out to
        access the (each) interface using DLPI.

        Because I am trying to access 'style 2' provider, I need to to acquire
        the PPA (Physical Point of Attachment). I am having difficulty
        trying to associate the interface w/ a PPA. The man page for 'le' on
        Solaris says:

             An explicit DL_ATTACH_REQ message by  the  user
             is required to associate the opened stream with a particular
             device (ppa).  The ppa ID is interpreted as an unsigned long
             and  indicates  the  corresponding  device  instance  (unit)
             number.

        Is the "unit" number the same as stat.st_rdev? That is, if I stat()
        the device file, will 'st_rdev' contain the appropriate value?

        Once I have this, it is a simple matter of performing a BIND and
        PHYS_ADDR_REQ to fetch the address (I hope).

Any help would be appreciated,
-Fred

2. Newbie Athena question

3. Solaris DLPI question

4. Raw IP Networking FAQ

5. A simple question deserving a simple answer

6. Need Help!!! Errors in Boot-up.

7. a simple sed question ( there all simple :> )

8. Ultrix 4.3 kernel size

9. Simple question from simple user

10. Simple FTP question (very simple)

11. simple question about simple code

12. Simple question for us simple minded.

13. Simple question - simple answer?