eeprom boot-device problem

Post by carl1.. » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

I am trying to set up two HDD's in my ULTRA 10 to be used for booting
the system.
On both HDD's are identicaly images of the system. Regarding to the man
pages of eeprom I tried:

# eeprom boot-device=disk disk1

Doing this I get the message:

disk1 data not available

If I type

# eeprom boot-device=disk1

The boot device is changed, and the system boots without problems from
the second HDD.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Carl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

eeprom boot-device problem

Post by aryz.. » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Try

eeprom boot-device="disk disk1"

Quotes matter ;-)

> Hello everybody,

> I am trying to set up two HDD's in my ULTRA 10 to be used for booting
> the system.
> On both HDD's are identicaly images of the system. Regarding to the
man
> pages of eeprom I tried:

> # eeprom boot-device=disk disk1

> Doing this I get the message:

> disk1 data not available

> If I type

> # eeprom boot-device=disk1

> The boot device is changed, and the system boots without problems from
> the second HDD.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks in advance

> Carl

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

eeprom boot-device problem

Post by carl1.. » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Try

> eeprom boot-device="disk disk1"

> Quotes matter ;-)

Cheers! Sometimes it is that simple! ;-)

Regards

Carl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

eeprom boot-device problem

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

># eeprom boot-device=disk disk1

Use:

# eeprom boot-device='disk disk1'

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Boot from EEPROM @ PCI-Card --> Boot from DHCPD/BOOTPD via Linux

Hi together,

we have got some ISA-Card with only one EPROM on it.
If we plug-in this ISA-Card in a PC, the PC "converted" itself
to an X-Terminal. This meens, the whole X-Terminal software
is in this EEPROM - nothing else is important on the ISA-Card.

So, is there a way, if we store the content of the
X-Terminal EEPROM to the filesystem of a Linux server, to modify the
EEPROM-image in this way, that we can execute this on a Client PC
booting this modified image via a bootable NIC and a serverbased
DHCP-Daemon / BOOTP-Daemon ?

If this would be possible, we are able to remove all the
ISA-X-Terminal Cards an replace them with bootable NIC's
connected to the Linux-Server.

From the BIOS/EEPROM integration i know the following:

offset
00h  WORD   AA55h - ROM signature
02h  BYTE   ??h   - Size of ROM image in 512 byte blocks
03h  3 BYTEs      - Initialization procedure; called FAR by
                    the BIOS. Use RETF to return

Could somebody help me or give me same tipps ?

regards

Danny

DT Netsolution GmbH -  Talaeckerstr. 30 -  D-70437 Stuttgart
Tel: +49-711-849910-32               Fax: +49-711-849910-932

2. ???complete path in red hat 5.1 text-console???

3. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

4. Why Dynamic Libraries do not exist on UNIX ?

5. E250: eeprom Boot problem

6. System Audit Reporting

7. boot-device problem

8. how to write 2.2.X driver to receive parameter for linux module in load time

9. How do i configure my "boot-device" and "boot-file" (LinuxPPC)?

10. eeprom-like way to control the boot prom from Unix?

11. Booting alternative boot-device?

12. Error Messages when booting: Device>di [devicename] No such Device [devicename]

13. 3C905B -- EEPROM (i blive so) problem