Solaris 2.5.1 NIS client with a RedHat Enterprise ES release 3 NIS master..

Solaris 2.5.1 NIS client with a RedHat Enterprise ES release 3 NIS master..

Post by J » Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:27:18

Hi all,

I have a few solaris machines ranging from 2.5.1 to 7 that passwords
via NIS no longer work on.  The NIS master is a linux machine that had
just been upgraded a few weeks ago.  After the upgrade, passwords on
the solaris clients stopped working.  I can do anything and everything
NIS related between the solaris client and the linux master, except
for execute yppasswd or login.  This had been working fine when we
were previously running the NIS master on a RedHat 7.1 machine.

When I try to login to the solaris machine, it says the password is
invalid.  If I login as root and run 'yppasswd username', i get this:

bash-2.01# yppasswd jason
Enter login(NIS) password:
Sorry: wrong passwd
Permission denied

But the password is right.  I tried downgrading the NIS master last
night to see if that was the problem, but that made no difference at
all.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the password encryption
but have no clue where to look or what to do.

Can anyone please help me with this issue?  Let me know if you need
any additional information too.

Thanks,

JP

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:14:00

> I have a few solaris machines ranging from 2.5.1 to 7 that passwords
> via NIS no longer work on.  The NIS master is a linux machine that had
> just been upgraded a few weeks ago.  After the upgrade, passwords on
> the solaris clients stopped working.  I can do anything and everything
> NIS related between the solaris client and the linux master, except
> for execute yppasswd or login.  This had been working fine when we
> were previously running the NIS master on a RedHat 7.1 machine.

My guess is that RH machine is using MD5 encrypted passwords, which the
Solaris machines don't understand.  Configure your RH server to use
crypt-style encryption (or better: upgrade it to Solaris) and all should
be well.

Quote:> all.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the password encryption
> but have no clue where to look or what to do.

Probably; see above.

HTH,

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Solaris 2.5.1 NIS client with a RedHat Enterprise ES release 3 NIS master..

Post by J » Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:27:10

I ended up figuring out that md5 was the problem.. I disabled md5 on
the linux box and it was still creating md5 password for some reason.
I didn't have much time to investigate this issue as it was something
that needed to be taken care of ASAP, so i applied a bandaid to the
wound until I can find time to operate.

Basically I generated a password on the solaris box and then copied
the encrypted password into the shadow file on the linux machine and
all was working fine for the users in question.

Thanks for the help,

JP

> > I have a few solaris machines ranging from 2.5.1 to 7 that passwords
> > via NIS no longer work on.  The NIS master is a linux machine that had
> > just been upgraded a few weeks ago.  After the upgrade, passwords on
> > the solaris clients stopped working.  I can do anything and everything
> > NIS related between the solaris client and the linux master, except
> > for execute yppasswd or login.  This had been working fine when we
> > were previously running the NIS master on a RedHat 7.1 machine.

> My guess is that RH machine is using MD5 encrypted passwords, which the
> Solaris machines don't understand.  Configure your RH server to use
> crypt-style encryption (or better: upgrade it to Solaris) and all should
> be well.

> > all.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the password encryption
> > but have no clue where to look or what to do.

> Probably; see above.

> HTH,

1. Using linux NIS clients with Solaris 2 NIS masters.

Hi

I'm looking at possibly replacing our sun lab machines with PC's running
Linux, we plan to use Solaris 2 as an NIS master/server and Linux as the
clients.  Does anyone know if this is possible or had any experience in
doing something similar ?  It is very important that we use shadow
passwords, which is my main concern.

Replies by Email if possible

Thanks in advance

Mark Nelson

2. upgrading to a new kernel

3. Linux NIS Master Solaris i386 NIS client?

4. accton en2216 pcmcia card

5. NIS+ master server convert to NIS client

6. Fast Backup And Restore

7. replaced nis client -> had to reboot nis master?

8. hard disk odm mix up

9. Tru64 4.x NIS Clients and Linux NIS Master.

10. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????

11. Solaris 2.3 w/NIS+ Upgrade to 2.5 w/ NIS+ (Master Server)?

12. Solaris 7 as NIS Master Server with Solaris 2.6 and 7 clients

13. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client