Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

Post by toni.. » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 01:22:15

I posted something a while back about the EOL for the V880 and was able
to dig up some information.  But since then I have been pulling my hair
out trying to find out where Sun stores its EOL announcments.  I am
subscribed to just about every Sun mailing list option I can see, and I
get gobs of emails from them but I never got any EOL annoncments. (does
anyone?)

I was able to find the announcement EOL for the V880 but the V480 I can
not find; it was another "Oh look, this system has been EOL'd" that I
stumbled on when looking at the Sun Systems page.   I am getting
pressure from the bean counters to provide some "official" word from
sun, apparently it's not enough to point out the sun systems page that
clearly says "Sun Fire V480 (A37)  [12/05]"

Has anyone any luck in finding some sort of archive where Sun keeps
these announcements?

Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

Post by stuart_abrams_humphr.. » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:25:40

Hi Toni,

a good general list is
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/#EOLSystems
also look at http://www.sun.com/servers/midrange/v880/ states EOL info
- also emails from http://sun.systemnews.com are pretty good (if its
not one of the ones you get already that is!)

Kind Regards
Stuart

Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

Post by toni.. » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 03:53:14

Thanks Stuart,

The sunsolve link to the EOL systems I am quite familiar with.  What I
am after is the "official" word from Sun when they made the
announcement, i.e.

http://sun.systemnews.com/articles/90/3/server/14904

That one turned up easilly.  Although the V480 is also listed as EOL I
have not had any luck finding a similar page.

This would be so much easier if my clients would just take my word for
it and not have this silly demand for something "official".

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 08:41:17

>out trying to find out where Sun stores its EOL announcments.  I am
>subscribed to just about every Sun mailing list option I can see, and I
>get gobs of emails from them but I never got any EOL annoncments. (does
>anyone?)
>Has anyone any luck in finding some sort of archive where Sun keeps
>these announcements?

Sun communicates this info internally through "intros" that are
accessible for Sun resellers at "https://reseller.sun.com/swin"

If you are a customer, ask your Sun sales rep or your favourite Sun reseller
for these specific intros:

451477  Sun Product Intro - Transition of Sun Fire V480 Server and Associated Options, 09-13-2005

446463  Sun Product Intro - Transition of Sun Fire V880, 07-12-2005

Regards
Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lundholm

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:04:49

>This would be so much easier if my clients would just take my word for
>it and not have this silly demand for something "official".

And why is the handbook listing not "official"?

See it as a condensed, indexed version of all the EOL announcements.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Where the heck are the Sun EOL announcments?

Post by toni.. » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 04:19:06

That's a darn good question!  It's plenty "offical" enough for me, but
not for some of my clients.  :(

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:19:01

> doubt they'll get something like that.  Besides, doesn't SUN still
> support EOL'd hardware for a period of time before the boards become
> unavailable?  Try getting a logic board for an LX (why would you want to

Yes; that's the differnce between EOL and EOSL (End Of Support Life).
HW is typically supported for 5 years after the EOL and/or last ship
date.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. printer needs EOL=CRLF, has EOL=LF ???

You can make the printer add the CR to each line be configuring
it on the Solaris machine like this:

Solaris 2.5.1 and earlier only:

  lpsystem -t bsd printerhostname
  lpadmin -p printer -s printerhostname\!text -I any
  enable printer
  accept printer

Solaris 2.6 and later:

  lpadmin -p printer -s printerhostname\!text

"printerhostname" should be replaced with the hostname or IP address
of the printer's network card.

  -Greg

2. Configuring Multiple Gateways via DHCP

3. Q:using grep to replace Mac eol's with UNIX eol's

4. Printing /etc/issue during telnet login

5. Sun Fire 280R EOL

6. awe32 programming

7. EOL'd Sun OpenGL versions...

8. eval problems..again...help

9. What the heck is a Sun 4/110 ?

10. USC Linux Users Group October Meeting Announcment

11. EM86 Announcment for Development

12. Am I the first one to try the assembler example from the Sun docs ?