Sendmail.mx in solaris V2.4 (Outgoing + Incoming mail routing)

Sendmail.mx in solaris V2.4 (Outgoing + Incoming mail routing)

Post by Inf » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Happy New year to all of you.
We have the following problem:
  On a solaris V2.4 Sparc machine we use the sendmail.mx for mailing. The problem is that we
can not make the sendmail.cf file so as the sendmail can both send and receive internet mails.
We have a sendmail.cf file which handles the outgoing internet mail routing but with that file
it is impossible to receive mail from internet.
------- The most important values -----
Dwcosmos
Cwcosmos.hiway.gr
Djhiway.gr
---------------------------------------
the error msg. produced is:

 The original message was received at Tue, 2 Jan 1996 20:12:01 -0200
from first.hiway.gr [193.92.2.50]

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----

mail: Options MUST PRECEDE persons

   ----- Original message follows -----

Using the following conf. file we are able to receive internet mail but not to send.

---------------------------------------
Dmhiway.gr
Cmcosmos.hiway.gr
Cm hiway.gr
Dwcosmos
Cwcosmos.hiway.gr
Cwcosmos
Djcosmos.hiway.gr
---------------------------------------

I have applied the sun patches and replace the latest sendmail patch from sun but nothing can
make the sendmail work properly.
I have even tried to use few precompiled sendmail V8 files but no solution to the problem.
Of course, I have put dns in my nsswitch.conf file.

to exchange ideas.

HIWAY System Manager

Post by L. Howard Boyd, » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Sendmail.mx in solaris V2.4 (Outgoing + Incoming mail routing)
>Date: 2 Jan 1996 18:11:00 GMT
>Happy New year to all of you.
>We have the following problem:
>  On a solaris V2.4 Sparc machine we use the sendmail.mx for mailing. The problem is that we
>can not make the sendmail.cf file so as the sendmail can both send and receive internet mails.
>We have a sendmail.cf file which handles the outgoing internet mail routing but with that file
>it is impossible to receive mail from internet.
>------- The most important values -----
>Dwcosmos
>Cwcosmos.hiway.gr
>Djhiway.gr
>---------------------------------------
>the error msg. produced is:
> The original message was received at Tue, 2 Jan 1996 20:12:01 -0200
>from first.hiway.gr [193.92.2.50]
>   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----

>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>mail: Options MUST PRECEDE persons

>   ----- Original message follows -----

I too was getting the "unknown mailer error 5" message from email. I searched
the web for sendmail using netscape and found an article that solved my
problem.  Here is the article:

Fri, 10 Mar 1995 06:09:25 -0500

I received several responses about my sendmail problem, all saying
essentially the same thing. I am including the answer that best described
the situation.

Now about that root canal...

----- Begin Included Message -----

Subject: Re: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 5

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:21:15 +0930 (CST)

E FELLERS" at Mar 8, 95 07:34:18 am

Hi There.

Quote:> Please sendmail gurus help us out. We have just upgraded our mailhost
> to solaris 2.4 (from 4.1.3) and sendmail does not work any more.
> Mail to and from where sender and receiver is on the mailhost still
> works.
> Mail to the mail host which is actually an alias to an address on a
> different system works. (ie it gets forwarded to the appropriate place)
> However mail from another host to a user on the mail host is returned
> with the message below.
> The sendmail.cf file is the same as the one working on 4.1.3.

I had exactly the same problem on Sol2.4 when I bit the bullet and
installed sendmail 8.6.9. When sendmail receives a message from a remote
system, it invokes /bin/mail to forward it to the actual user. Sendmail
includes the command line option -r <return path> to the mail command line,
so the command becomes (say)

Because mail doesn't support the -r option, it barfs with the following
error:

Quote:> mail: Options MUST PRECEDE persons

and returns error code 5.
(try the above command at the command line and watch the same error
appear).

So to solve it, edit sendmail.cf, and go to the line which reads something
like: (it's in the MAILER DEFINITIONS section)
Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFMrmn, S=10/30, R=20/40, A=mail -d $u

This specifies the local mailer, the F= option tells sendmail what options
to include on the command line.

I found this in the sendmail.cf which came with Sol2.4, so I just copied
the F= bit in and all worked fine. If you get the doc tar.gz file and take
a look at the op.ps postscript file, it explains what each of these options
really means, if you're interested!

Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=flsSDFMmnP, S=10/30, R=20/40, A=mail -d $u

Enjoy,

Jack.

--

Clinical Dentistry                      Rm 2108.C, Dental School
University of Adelaide                  Ph 303 3368, 303 3283 (secretary)

----- End Included Message -----