'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Gangegow » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 01:27:39

Hi All,

I am using solaris 2.7.
I am using 'init 6' to reboot the system in turn calls
/etc/rc6 script for graceful shutdown , /etc/rc6 calls the "killall"
command.

But 'killall' is not informing through(SIGTERM) signal to all the
processes,it is informing to only specific processes as well as it
is not killing any processes.

I want this 'killall' should send to all the processes including any
application which are running on the system and expecting 'SIGTERM'.

It will be great if anyone updated me on "killall" process.
Is this is bug? or any solaris pathches are required for this.

Thanks,
Gangegowda

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:52:08

> Hi All,
> I am using solaris 2.7.
> I am using 'init 6' to reboot the system in turn calls
> /etc/rc6 script for graceful shutdown , /etc/rc6 calls the "killall"
> command.
> But 'killall' is not informing through(SIGTERM) signal to all the
> processes,it is informing to only specific processes as well as it
> is not killing any processes.
> I want this 'killall' should send to all the processes including any
> application which are running on the system and expecting 'SIGTERM'.
> It will be great if anyone updated me on "killall" process.
> Is this is bug? or any solaris pathches are required for this.

Hmm..  rather than answering the question, let me ask another...  What
exactly are you trying to accomplish?

It sounds like you have a process or processes that are not exiting
gracefully on reboot/shutdown.

Rather than rely on killall sending (and more importantly waiting) on a
signal, you would probably be better off crafting a proper shutdown
script.  If the script in in rc0.d, it will be run during an init 0, 5,
or 6.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Venkat » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 06:45:32

Hi,

if you dont are for the data or the coruption or kind of thing and
want a immediate shutdown of the server use

uadmin 2 0  ( u will get ok prompt)
or use
uadmin 2 1 ( the server will reboot)

I dont kow much of unix internals but i think init 0 and init 6
internally does call these command. ( can some one help me on this ??)

This is not the greatest way to halt a server but can be handy ...

PS: USE at your risk....

Cheers

/v

Venkat D .................................
Sun Solaris Admin ..

Passing through the Solar System .. Gald you are too .....:-)

> > Hi All,

> > I am using solaris 2.7.
> > I am using 'init 6' to reboot the system in turn calls
> > /etc/rc6 script for graceful shutdown , /etc/rc6 calls the "killall"
> > command.

> > But 'killall' is not informing through(SIGTERM) signal to all the
> > processes,it is informing to only specific processes as well as it
> > is not killing any processes.

> > I want this 'killall' should send to all the processes including any
> > application which are running on the system and expecting 'SIGTERM'.

> > It will be great if anyone updated me on "killall" process.
> > Is this is bug? or any solaris pathches are required for this.

> Hmm..  rather than answering the question, let me ask another...  What
> exactly are you trying to accomplish?

> It sounds like you have a process or processes that are not exiting
> gracefully on reboot/shutdown.

> Rather than rely on killall sending (and more importantly waiting) on a
> signal, you would probably be better off crafting a proper shutdown
> script.  If the script in in rc0.d, it will be run during an init 0, 5,
> or 6.

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 08:15:38

Quote:> Hi,

> if you dont are for the data or the coruption or kind of thing and
> want a immediate shutdown of the server use

> uadmin 2 0  ( u will get ok prompt)
> or use
> uadmin 2 1 ( the server will reboot)

These commands are *very* dangerous.  They're about as close
to pulling the power cable out as you can get, without actually
doing it.  No syncs, no nothing.  They're intended for emergency,
last resort use only.

Quote:> I dont kow much of unix internals but i think init 0 and init 6
> internally does call these command. ( can some one help me on this ??)

They do eventually, after sync files, etc.

Quote:> PS: USE at your risk....

Indeed...

PS: Please stop top posting.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Venkat » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:00:01

Rich ??
 >  >

Quote:> PS: Please stop top posting.

What do you mean by this ?? explain ..plzzz

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Venkat » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 11:12:32

And also
When i use uadmin 2 0 or uadmin 2 1 the server boots up without doing a fsck ..
But when we pull the cable out it certaainly does the FSCK..
So there must be a kind of sync taking place before the system goes down.

Any one who knows better ??

Thanks

/v

> > Hi,

> > if you dont are for the data or the coruption or kind of thing and
> > want a immediate shutdown of the server use

> > uadmin 2 0  ( u will get ok prompt)
> > or use
> > uadmin 2 1 ( the server will reboot)

> These commands are *very* dangerous.  They're about as close
> to pulling the power cable out as you can get, without actually
> doing it.  No syncs, no nothing.  They're intended for emergency,
> last resort use only.

> > I dont kow much of unix internals but i think init 0 and init 6
> > internally does call these command. ( can some one help me on this ??)

> They do eventually, after sync files, etc.

> > PS: USE at your risk....

> Indeed...

> PS: Please stop top posting.

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 13:59:32

Quote:> Rich ??

> > PS: Please stop top posting.

> What do you mean by this ?? explain ..plzzz

Top posting is when someone posts their part of a conversation
at the top of an email or posting, rather than edititg in line.
In line posting - with decent editting - makes a post much easier
to read and makes following a thread easier too.

Certain programs, like Outhouse top post by default.  Apparently,
M$ in their infinite wisdom decided to ignore standards and
conventions, again.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 20:40:44

> Top posting is when someone posts their part of a conversation
> at the top of an email or posting, rather than edititg in line.
> In line posting - with decent editting - makes a post much easier
> to read and makes following a thread easier too.

        You can say that again (and I wish sphicter^wcypher wouldn't).

Quote:> Certain programs, like Outhouse top post by default.  Apparently,
> M$ in their infinite wisdom decided to ignore standards and
> conventions, again.

        Lets send them to hell -

begin  666

-am     ? 2002

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 04:02:22

>    Lets send them to hell -

> begin  666

WHat does that do?  I know it introduces a uuencoded
file, but does it fsck Outhouse or something?  Confuse
it, perhaps?

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:04:17

|WHat does that do?  I know it introduces a uuencoded
|file, but does it fsck Outhouse or something?  Confuse
|it, perhaps?

Yep - Outlook assumes that once it sees a line of text that starts with
begin the rest of the message is uuencoded, even if it is obviously not,
and even if it's just one word in a line of text, like this message.

Almost as bad as Yahoo mail's JavaScript protection which replaces words
like "expression" and "mocha" in e-mail messages even if they aren't HTML.

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:59:56

> Yep - Outlook assumes that once it sees a line of text that starts with
> begin the rest of the message is uuencoded, even if it is obviously not,
> and even if it's just one word in a line of text, like this message.

* Evil grin *

At last, a way to get back at those Outhouse lusers who insist on
sending out HTML emails...!

So, one could say

begin Outhouse stealth mode

and Outhouse users won't beable to read the rest of the message?
Great stuff!

Quote:> Almost as bad as Yahoo mail's JavaScript protection which replaces words
> like "expression" and "mocha" in e-mail messages even if they aren't HTML.

Yet another reason why HTML belongs in web sites, not email.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:00:45

> >       Lets send them to hell -

begin  666

Quote:> WHat does that do?  I know it introduces a uuencoded
> file, but does it fsck Outhouse or something?  Confuse
> it, perhaps?

        Yep, it bones Outhouse users (like Don Fool). You can read
        all about it here -
        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q265230
        or in Risks Digest 21.90 in comp.risks (if you can put up with
        all the insipid puns and the stark raving mad abstracting).

-am     ? 2002

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Anthony Mandi » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:04:37

begin  666

Quote:> * Evil grin *

        ;-)))))

Quote:> At last, a way to get back at those Outhouse lusers who insist on
> sending out HTML emails...!

        And Outhouse Hexpress.

Quote:> So, one could say

> begin Outhouse stealth mode

> and Outhouse users won't beable to read the rest of the message?
> Great stuff!

        You only need the begin and two spaces - not even the
        chmod value. But I like to tack on the 666 for some reason.
        I think I will advocate its liberal use.

-am     ? 2002

'init 6' and 'killall' on sun-solaris.

Post by Rich Tee » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:54:39

begin  666

Quote:>    You only need the begin and two spaces - not even the
>    chmod value. But I like to tack on the 666 for some reason.

666 is the number of the beast - the beast being M$.  That's
a good enough reason for me!

Quote:>    I think I will advocate its liberal use.

Agreed!

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Anthony Mandi » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:47:43

begin  666

Quote:> >       You only need the begin and two spaces - not even the
> >       chmod value. But I like to tack on the 666 for some reason.

> 666 is the number of the beast - the beast being M$.  That's
> a good enough reason for me!

        I reckon if we grabbed hillBilly boy and shaved his head we'll
        see the mark. Beats throwing cream pies in his face any day.

-am     ? 2002

1. LinuxPPC99: 'INIT: ld ''x'' respawning too fast...'??

Hey.  I don't know exactly what causes the problem, but I know that if you
run Xautoconfig and/or Xconfigurator (and set it up differently this time),
it can fix the problem.  Basically, it's in the settings.  I don't know
where, but it just can't load x windows.  I've found that on my 8500/120, it
won't do 16bit color.  It'll do 8 or 24, but no 16.

Try that.

Hank

----------

2. socket question

3. Don't like 'killall pppd' in my .bash_profile, but ...

4. RAM Not Recognized

5. HP Netserver LC3

6. very long timeouts on 'nfs' or 'amd' init during boots

7. XF86 Video Card

8. source code for 'init' and 'login'?

9. Down 'Solaris' NFS Server hangs 'Solaris' Client

10. Sun's new patch policy for Solaris 10 'software updates'!

11. Sun 'find' is missing '-maxdepth'!

12. 'sh' script spawning Sun 'cmdtool' running program