Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Linuk » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:05:23

Hi All,

I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
probably sell it at a small loss.

I think, I am doing OK with x86 so far, but I was told that I will need
some software that is not ported to IA.

Thank you in advance.

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Shao W » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:41:59

> Hi All,

> I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
> Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
> I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
> so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
> the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
> probably sell it at a small loss.

> I think, I am doing OK with x86 so far, but I was told that I will need
> some software that is not ported to IA.

> Thank you in advance.

I think an Ultra60 for a new comer is over killed. Especially for someone
who is from the Intel platform whom are more likely to fool around with
the hardware settings.

I think, a used Ultra5, Ultra10, Ultra1 or SundBlade 100 are better fit.
SunBlade 100 and Ultra5 are pretty much "PC" with SPARC processors
and you can easily fool around with -- ie. upgrading hard drive, memory,
etc...

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Jack Patteeu » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:20:08

> I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
> Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
> I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
> so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
> the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
> probably sell it at a small loss.

OVERKILL !!  Like a sledgehammer on a carpet tack !!!

We still use Ultra 1 170E Creators on a daily basis.  They are going for
about $250 or less on ebay (without monitor).  With the proper adapter
you can use most SVGA monitors.

Jack Patteeuw

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Akop Pogosia » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 18:02:55

>> Hi All,

>> I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
>> Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
>> I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
>> so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
>> the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
>> probably sell it at a small loss.

>> I think, I am doing OK with x86 so far, but I was told that I will need
>> some software that is not ported to IA.

>> Thank you in advance.
> I think an Ultra60 for a new comer is over killed. Especially for someone
> who is from the Intel platform whom are more likely to fool around with
> the hardware settings.
> I think, a used Ultra5, Ultra10, Ultra1 or SundBlade 100 are better fit.
> SunBlade 100 and Ultra5 are pretty much "PC" with SPARC processors
> and you can easily fool around with -- ie. upgrading hard drive, memory,
> etc...

Don't forget the Ultra2. Lots of them are sold on ebay these days.
I'd advise stay away from U5 and U10. Granted, a PCI based machine is
probably better if you want to connect a VGA monitor to it.

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Shao W » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 03:38:04

> >> Hi All,

> >> I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
> >> Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
> >> I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
> >> so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
> >> the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
> >> probably sell it at a small loss.

> >> I think, I am doing OK with x86 so far, but I was told that I will need
> >> some software that is not ported to IA.

> >> Thank you in advance.

> > I think an Ultra60 for a new comer is over killed. Especially for someone
> > who is from the Intel platform whom are more likely to fool around with
> > the hardware settings.

> > I think, a used Ultra5, Ultra10, Ultra1 or SundBlade 100 are better fit.
> > SunBlade 100 and Ultra5 are pretty much "PC" with SPARC processors
> > and you can easily fool around with -- ie. upgrading hard drive, memory,
> > etc...

> Don't forget the Ultra2. Lots of them are sold on ebay these days.
> I'd advise stay away from U5 and U10. Granted, a PCI based machine is
> probably better if you want to connect a VGA monitor to it.

I did intentionally left out Ultra2. The reason is being that, Ultra2,
Ultra30, Ultra60
Ultra80, ... are using CPU modules that requires "special" cooling -- the CPU
fan
is mounted on the chase and sock the air out from the other end of the CPU
modules.
If you open the system case/cover while the power is on.  You will have a HUGE

problem -- it does not take long (a few minutes) to burned out your processors
due
to insufficient cooling!

If you popped in a CPU module without that U-shape plastic casing, you are
looking
for trouble.

With Ultra1, Ultra5, Ultra10 and SunBlade 100, you don't have any of these
problems.
Especially iwht SunBlade 100, the CPU not even hot while the system is
running.
Besides, it take "standard" PC components.

Shao

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Logan Sh » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 06:21:52

Quote:>I did intentionally left out Ultra2. The reason is being that, Ultra2,
>Ultra30, Ultra60
>Ultra80, ... are using CPU modules that requires "special" cooling -- the CPU
>fan
>is mounted on the chase and sock the air out from the other end of the CPU
>modules.
>If you open the system case/cover while the power is on.  You will have a HUGE

>problem -- it does not take long (a few minutes) to burned out your processors
>due
>to insufficient cooling!

So what?  If you want to learn to work with Sun machines, part of the
process is learning that not all computers are like a PC.

  - Logan
--
"I'll tell you something.  Luxury disgusts me."  Giorgio Armani, Jan 17, 2002
( http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020117/re/life_fashion_armani_dc_1.... )

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Linuk » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 11:03:56

Sincere thanks to all. And for Mr Shao Wu, without his warning frying a
Sparc <g> would be the first thing I may  have accomplished.

Best to all.

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 18:01:58

> Sincere thanks to all. And for Mr Shao Wu, without his warning frying a
> Sparc <g> would be the first thing I may  have accomplished.

> Best to all.

I run a dual CPU Ultra-2 at home with the cover off.  It has been that way for
quite a while with no problems.  It has three SCSI controllers and 512Mb of
RAM.  From time to time I take a can of compressed air and blow the dust out
... while it is running.  My home computer room is the exact opposite of a
raised floor server room with a ton of A/C.  The only feature I have is a
relatively large UPS.  I never have a problem with it.

Dennis

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Robert Mullen » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:04:48

> > Sincere thanks to all. And for Mr Shao Wu, without his warning frying a
> > Sparc <g> would be the first thing I may  have accomplished.

> > Best to all.

> I run a dual CPU Ultra-2 at home with the cover off.  It has been that way for
> quite a while with no problems.  It has three SCSI controllers and 512Mb of
> RAM.  From time to time I take a can of compressed air and blow the dust out
> ... while it is running.  My home computer room is the exact opposite of a
> raised floor server room with a ton of A/C.  The only feature I have is a
> relatively large UPS.  I never have a problem with it.

> Dennis

The fact that you get away with it, doesn't mean that's good advice
for
someone that's new to Sun hardware.  I have an Ultra 10 (440MHz) at
work that
lost two CPUs in 6 months.  The Sun tech recommended we get up out
from
under the desk and put it on top where there was more airflow and it
has
been fine for over a year now...so heat certainly can kill.

We all know you are an expert.(and you probably are I am not
questioning
that), but I do question the wisdom of that post when it's a Sun
newbie you are talking to.  I wash my hands in gasoline everytime
they get real greasy, but I'd be a bad parent if I recommend to my 6
year old that he do the same thing.

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by A. Rahm » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:50:36

> > I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
> > Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
> > I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
> > so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
> > the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
> > probably sell it at a small loss.

> OVERKILL !!  Like a sledgehammer on a carpet tack !!!

> We still use Ultra 1 170E Creators on a daily basis.  They are going for
> about $250 or less on ebay (without monitor).  With the proper adapter
> you can use most SVGA monitors.

> Jack Patteeuw

I'm planning to buy a low end Sun SPARC machine from eBay. But, I'd
like to use a VGA monitor . What kind of video card will I need? Will
any generic PC-compatible monitor work? Which model would be best?

Thanks in advance!

A. Rahman

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by mj » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:55:14

> > > I played with Solaris IA for a month and want to study more.
> > > Objectives: certification and get a junior position related to Solaris.
> > > I was recommended to buy Ultra 60 on e-Bay, since the prices are beaten
> > > so badly. Wouldn't it be an overkill for a newbie? I was told that at
> > > the current price levels it would serve me for a year, and I could
> > > probably sell it at a small loss.

> > OVERKILL !!  Like a sledgehammer on a carpet tack !!!

> > We still use Ultra 1 170E Creators on a daily basis.  They are going for
> > about $250 or less on ebay (without monitor).  With the proper adapter
> > you can use most SVGA monitors.

> > Jack Patteeuw

> I'm planning to buy a low end Sun SPARC machine from eBay. But, I'd
> like to use a VGA monitor . What kind of video card will I need? Will
> any generic PC-compatible monitor work? Which model would be best?

> Thanks in advance!

> A. Rahman

You really can't go wrong with an Ultra 5 or 10. Some people gripe
about them, but they're especially good for home systems. They use
regular VGA monitors, and IDE drives (meaning a $200 trip to Best Buy
will solve your drive space problems). I'm biased, since my was given
to me brand new. (free, the best kind)
Video is normally not the greatest. You'll need a Creator or other
such card to get your graphics up to 24 bit at higher resolutions...(I
don't care, since I don't use the graphics for much anyhow)

Matthew

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Chris Morga » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:32:40

> You really can't go wrong with an Ultra 5 or 10. Some people gripe
> about them, but they're especially good for home systems. They use
> regular VGA monitors, and IDE drives (meaning a $200 trip to Best Buy
> will solve your drive space problems). I'm biased, since my was given
> to me brand new. (free, the best kind)
> Video is normally not the greatest. You'll need a Creator or other
> such card to get your graphics up to 24 bit at higher resolutions...(I
> don't care, since I don't use the graphics for much anyhow)

Don't forget, if you have a linux machine you can just remote the
display from the sun to the linux. I find well-written X applications
perform really nicely over a fast local network, and PC cards seem to
be better at bitblitting (e.g. scrolling a large page in netscape)
etc. Since my Elite3d card doesn't control my monitor just right, I
more often just remote the display than use the console on the sun
even though my machines are all on a KVM.
--
Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
      Temp sig. - Enquire within

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by Chris Morga » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:36:53

> So what?  If you want to learn to work with Sun machines, part of the
> process is learning that not all computers are like a PC.

Sort of true, on the other hand a bunch of people never have to touch
the machines they work on (in my company the big machines are in a
different part of town in a building I've never been in). These days I
think a machine with special cooling requirements that is also meant
to be a desktop user machine is sort of obnoxious. Come to think of it
though, someone told me my NeXT Cube would overheat with the case
_off_ also! I think this 'case is part of cooling design' trick is
very clever, too clever for me.
--

Post by A. Rahm » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 01:09:30

> > > OVERKILL !!  Like a sledgehammer on a carpet tack !!!

> > > We still use Ultra 1 170E Creators on a daily basis.  They are going for
> > > about $250 or less on ebay (without monitor).  With the proper adapter
> > > you can use most SVGA monitors.

> > > Jack Patteeuw

> > I'm planning to buy a low end Sun SPARC machine from eBay. But, I'd
> > like to use a VGA monitor . What kind of video card will I need? Will
> > any generic PC-compatible monitor work? Which model would be best?

> > Thanks in advance!

> > A. Rahman

> You really can't go wrong with an Ultra 5 or 10. Some people gripe
> about them, but they're especially good for home systems. They use
> regular VGA monitors, and IDE drives (meaning a $200 trip to Best Buy
> will solve your drive space problems). I'm biased, since my was given
> to me brand new. (free, the best kind)
> Video is normally not the greatest. You'll need a Creator or other
> such card to get your graphics up to 24 bit at higher resolutions...(I
> don't care, since I don't use the graphics for much anyhow)

> Matthew

So, If I buy an Ultra 5 or 10, I can hook up a PC-compatible VGA
monitor without using any other adapter etc.? Does Ultra use PCI based
video cards? If yes, which brand or model of video card would you
recommend? I don't remember noticing Solaris X86 drivers for any video
cards.
Thanks!

A. Rahman

Which Sparc for a Student?

Post by A. Rahm » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 05:06:51

> > You really can't go wrong with an Ultra 5 or 10. Some people gripe
> > about them, but they're especially good for home systems. They use
> > regular VGA monitors, and IDE drives (meaning a $200 trip to Best Buy
> > will solve your drive space problems). I'm biased, since my was given
> > to me brand new. (free, the best kind)
> > Video is normally not the greatest. You'll need a Creator or other
> > such card to get your graphics up to 24 bit at higher resolutions...(I
> > don't care, since I don't use the graphics for much anyhow)

> Don't forget, if you have a linux machine you can just remote the
> display from the sun to the linux. I find well-written X applications
> perform really nicely over a fast local network, and PC cards seem to
> be better at bitblitting (e.g. scrolling a large page in netscape)
> etc. Since my Elite3d card doesn't control my monitor just right, I
> more often just remote the display than use the console on the sun
> even though my machines are all on a KVM.

Exporting the display to a Linux box sounds like a great idea? I've
never done anything like that before. Could you please point me to
some documentation?

Thanks!
A.R.

1. Computers for students, by students.

We (The association for Computing Machinery, IIT chapter) are working to get
a computer for student use, to provide the students and student organizations
with a Bulletin Board System for announcements, discussion, and the like.

        One of the requests the Finance Board (the student "leaders" who make
financial decisions) has made before they will consider approval is that we
provide them with information from:

        "... other universities or groups outside of IIT who could advocate
the additon of such a system, or ideally, have made such an addtion themselves."

--
           Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

                         My Employer Disagrees.

2. X-Windows and subnet

3. OpenLinux Standard: student to student

4. Checking Data Segment Size

5. sparc machine for student

6. ksh read buildin function

7. WANTED: Sparc 2/5/10/20 workstation for starving student 12-16-98 cnx.net

8. Cannot use DIP as user.

9. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

10. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

11. SPARC SunOs 4.x or SPARC Solaris appls under Linux

12. Connecting Sparc Station 5 (RH 6.0 for Sparc) and SuSE 6.4 via NFS

13. SPARC 5 vs. SPARC 10 as web server