Printing Postscript files in Solaris 2.5 x86

Printing Postscript files in Solaris 2.5 x86

Post by Sam Kessle » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

How does one get a Cannon BJ-200 to print Postscript file in Solaris
2.51 x86?

I tried the following:

 # lpadmin -p myps -v/dev/lp1 -T ps -Ipostscript
 # enable myps
 # accept myps
 #xwd | xpr -device ps |lp -d myps

--

Mechanical Application Consulting http://www.mcs.com/~samk
Phone (773)262-1375 FAX (773)337-6272

Post by Doug Hughe » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> How does one get a Cannon BJ-200 to print Postscript file in Solaris
> 2.51 x86?

> I tried the following:

>  # lpadmin -p myps -v/dev/lp1 -T ps -Ipostscript
>  # enable myps
>  # accept myps
>  #xwd | xpr -device ps |lp -d myps

I could be wrong, but I thought that the BJ-200 was not a PostScript
printer. I know my BJ-610 is not a PostScript printer. Most of the Canon
printers are of the 'line printer' type and process one line of data
at a time. PostScript printers are typically page printers. They process
and print entire pages after receiving the full page.

My canon supports EPSON LQ, IBM Proprinter X24E emulation, and Canon
BJ and extended modes.
(I suspect yours is very similar if not the same)

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

Printing Postscript files in Solaris 2.5 x86

Post by Andrew Gabri » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I could be wrong, but I thought that the BJ-200 was not a PostScript
>printer.

In which case you require a postscript interpreter which can output
BJ-200 graphics mode.

If ghostscript knows about BJ-200 (and I expect it does), this
can be used.

--

Consultant Software Engineer

1. Parallel printing postscript files with Sparc Solaris 2.5

Printer problems with postscript files on a parallel device.

We are using an old SparcStation 1 as Printserver with Solaris 2.5.
Im trying to set up the standart lp spooling system to print an a HP
Laserjet 4 attached to
a parallel port (AURORA Multiport 20S with Solaris 2 driver Version
5.10).

The printers LED is on but the printer does not print. On a serial port
we have no Problems.
If we use the command "cat file.ps > /dev/pp0" the printer works even at
the parallel device correct.
But not with the lp command.

The printer is configured with:
lpadmin -v /dev/pp0 -p hpp -T PS -I postscript -D "HP 4 Plus"  --> no
printing

lpadmin -v /dev/term/a -p hpp -T PS -I postscript -D "HP 4 Plus"  -->
works

Any ideas? Thanks!

Soeren Schupp

TH Darmstadt

(The printing worked pretty good with Solaris 1, but now we upgraded to
Solaris 2.5)

2. finding # of free outgoing TCP port in Sol 8

3. Solaris 2.5: Apple Laserwriter Postscript won't print.

4. performance on s80/4.3.3 sybase

5. Solaris 2.5 FNS Postscript Printing

6. CodeWarrior for Solaris.

7. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

8. XFree is only trouble

9. TCP/IP printing under Solaris 2.5 x86

10. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

11. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

12. Request Imake Configuration Files for Solaris 2.5 x86

13. Printing TeX files using dvilj 2.5 on Solaris 2.5.1