NIS setup problem on Solaris 2.6 5/98

Post by Martin Arl » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a NIS server on a Enterprise 450 unter Solaris 2.6 HW:5/98.
The situation is:

1. the machine is a secondary name server
2. there is also a NIS domain (served by non-SUN machine)
3. the machine is *not* configured for this NIS domain (instead I would
   setup this machine as a new master NIS server for a different domain)
4. to setup this machine as a master NIS server for a new NIS domain was
   fine and works very well
5. NIS domain name is *completely* different from the real DNS domain name

BUT

now I can't boot the machine anymore (only in single-user mode). The machine
hangs after starting the NIS daemons (incl. yppasswd etc.). I figured out,
that the next command (ifconfig on all interfaces to setup netmasks) doesn't
work. I don't know what's happen - there are no erros, warnings in log files
or something like this. I suppose, the machine is waiting for something ... ?
NIS seems to be started but the command /usr/sbin/ifconfig -auD netmasks +
broadcast + doesn't work (or can't get the information from the NIS maps?)...
Name service DNS will be started after NIS...

Does anybody have an idea what's going on there?

BTW: would it be better to use NIS+ in compatib. mode instead of NIS (in my
     environment there are only 5 SUN machine and 10 other which does not
     support NIS+)

Thank you for any help.

Martin

Post by martin+use.. » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> now I can't boot the machine anymore (only in single-user mode). The machine
> hangs after starting the NIS daemons (incl. yppasswd etc.). I figured out,
> that the next command (ifconfig on all interfaces to setup netmasks) doesn't
> work. I don't know what's happen - there are no erros, warnings in log files
> or something like this.

had a similar problem. I had to edit /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart
and add 'sleep 5' statements after starting ypserv and after
starting ypbind.

otherwise ypwhich always failed. the yp patch ('can get request before ..')
didn't help either.

to debug, edit 'ypstart' and remove the output redirections after
the various yp* commands to see if ypwhich succeeds.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

                and Parallel Systems | Tel: 01-3105608-84
Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Fax: 01-3105608-88

1. Patched 2.6 3/98 and 2.6 5/98 the same?

I'm pretty confident they're the same, but I'd like to get input from
others:

Is there any difference between a well patched system that was jumped
with Solaris 2.6 3/98 and a well patched system that was jumped with
Solaris 2.6 5/98?

I know 5/98 had better PCI support, but can that improved support be
obtained for 3/98 by just patching it?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Help !! Install from DOS partition problem

3. Solaris 2.6 3/98 vs 5/98?

4. Opinions on Adaptec Snap Server 510 ?

5. Differences between Solaris 2.6 March 98 and May 98

6. Real-Time & Embedded Computing Conference - very interesting

7. 2.6 FCS -> 2.6 5/98 upgrade fails because /usr moved to /usr:2.6

8. XWindows with Trident GUI9660 Chipset

9. Solaris 2.6 Hardware 3/98 Documentation install problem

10. Solaris x86 2.6 (5/98) install problems

11. Ultra 60 Solaris 2.6 5/98 installation problem

12. PCI UltraSCSI card REQUIRES Sol 2.6 HW 5/98 (not 3/98) ?

13. Solaris 2.6 HW 5/98 and greater than 2GB coredump