remote printing problem: Error transfering print job

remote printing problem: Error transfering print job

Post by Kaspar Landsber » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

i have a small network consisting of Sun workstations. sun7 is acting as
a network print server for the other sun boxes. Since recently (possibly
since an OS upgrade from sol7 to sol8 on the sun7 box) no box is able
anymore to remotely print a document on the sun7 server.

This is the error message i always get:

        Message from root on sun4 (???) [ Thu Jun 22 11:39:09 ] ...

        Error transfering print job 742

<EOT>

And in /var/adm/messages on the box from where i submit the print
command i see:

Jun 22 11:39:09 sun4 lpr[15163]: Warning: Received SIGPIPE; continuing

sun4 is running sol7, sun7 is running sol8.

Printing locally on sun7 works just fine.

/var/spool/lp/logs/lpsched shows no output when the error occurs.

And i could not even locate the queue on sun7 to which the above error messages is refering.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or other places to look at to find more

information?

TIA, Kaspar

--
Kaspar Landsberg,

remote printing problem: Error transfering print job

Post by Kaspar Landsber » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi again,

i got the solution to the below problem:

--- snip ---
SRDB ID 22164
Synopsis Lpstat reports unknown state for all remote printers on Solaris 8 print
server.

Problem Description

  When running lpstat to check the status of printers on a Solaris 8 print
  server the message "unknown state" reports back for all printers. Trying
  to telnet to the server's port 515 results with closed connection.

Problem Solution

  Print server's /var/saf/tcp/log reports;

  Open failed: /var/spool/lp/fifos/listenBSD
  Connect: fd 6, svctag lpd, seq 3, type passfd

  Inspection of /var/spool/lp/fifos showed missing listenBSD pipe.

  Create as follows.

  #cd /var/spool/lp/fifos   (if applicable)
  #mkfifo -m 666 listenBSD
  #chown lp listenBSD
  #chgrp lp listenBSD
  #sync; /etc/reboot
--- snip ---

> Hello,

> i have a small network consisting of Sun workstations. sun7 is acting as
> a network print server for the other sun boxes. Since recently (possibly
> since an OS upgrade from sol7 to sol8 on the sun7 box) no box is able
> anymore to remotely print a document on the sun7 server.

> This is the error message i always get:

>         Message from root on sun4 (???) [ Thu Jun 22 11:39:09 ] ...

>         Error transfering print job 742

> <EOT>

> And in /var/adm/messages on the box from where i submit the print
> command i see:

> Jun 22 11:39:09 sun4 lpr[15163]: Warning: Received SIGPIPE; continuing

> sun4 is running sol7, sun7 is running sol8.

> Printing locally on sun7 works just fine.

> /var/spool/lp/logs/lpsched shows no output when the error occurs.

> And i could not even locate the queue on sun7 to which the above error messages is refering.

> Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or other places to look at to find more

> information?

> TIA, Kaspar

> --
> Kaspar Landsberg,

remote printing problem: Error transfering print job

Post by Norm Jacob » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The problem is likely that the SAF is configured to listen for network
requests.
As of Solaris 2.6, network print requests are received vi
inetd/in.lpd/bsd_lpsched.so.
If you disable the port monitors and restart inetd, on the server, the
problem
should go away.  To disable the port monitors:

        # pmadm -r -p tcp -s lpd        # this is the one that is actually interfering
                                        # with inetd
        # pmadm -r -p tcp -s lp
        # pmadm -r -p tcp -s 0

It is likely that you ran admintool or adminsuite to install a local
printer on
the print server and that is how the SAF got configured.  There is a bug
filed
against them stating that this is incorrect for 2.6 and later.  I don't
recall
the bug number.

As sugested below, making the fifo will not resolve the problem.  The fifo
was
originally created by lpNet when it started prior to Solaris 2.6.  It was
how
lpNet received network (RFC-1179) requests from clients.

                        -Norm