HP DAT drive randomly resets itself?

Post by Michael Hohmu » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

We've got a HP 35480A SCSI DAT drive attached to SparcStation 20
running Solaris 2.4.

Sometimes, the tape drive seems to reset itself, even when some tape
activity (backup or restore) is in progress.  What happens is:

- All of a sudden, the two front panel LEDs start pulsing amber
  (according to the manual, this means "self test") and then green
  (which means "(un)loading cassette"), and the tape is rewound.

  I believe that whatever this is, it can't be a SCSI bus reset,
  because that usually causes funny sounds and LED signals produced by
  other devices also attached to the SparcStation.

- If a tape transaction had been in progress, it eventually times out,
  syslogging

Jun 21 04:59:15 pikas unix:  Disconnected command timeout for Target 5.0
,0 (st5):
Jun 21 04:59:15 pikas unix:  SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout'
Jun 21 04:59:15 pikas unix: : giving up

Can anyone imagine what is going on here?

Some more notes on the environment: The tape drive's DIP switches are
set to 11111001.  The Solaris machine has kernel patch 101945-13 and
esp driver patch 102002-03 applied (and of course many others).  I
haven't fiddled with the SCSI settings.  The st.conf option line for
this drive looks like this: "1,0x34,1024,0x1019,3,0x00,0x13,0x03,2;"

Thanks in advance,
Michael
--

WWW:   http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~mh1/

Post by Kevin Jon » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: We've got a HP 35480A SCSI DAT drive attached to SparcStation 20
: running Solaris 2.4.

: Sometimes, the tape drive seems to reset itself, even when some tape
: activity (backup or restore) is in progress.  What happens is:

: - All of a sudden, the two front panel LEDs start pulsing amber
:   (according to the manual, this means "self test") and then green
:   (which means "(un)loading cassette"), and the tape is rewound.

:   I believe that whatever this is, it can't be a SCSI bus reset,
:   because that usually causes funny sounds and LED signals produced by
:   other devices also attached to the SparcStation.

It's not a SCSI bus reset. The drive only behaves that way if it has
been power cycled or if there is a serious problem with its controller
that results in it resetting itself. In either case I would suggest
you have hardware problems, either with the power supply or the drive.

Kevin Jones.                       | Hewlett Packard Ltd,
                                   | Computer Peripherals Bristol,

                                   | Stoke Gifford,
                                   | Bristol.   BS12 6QZ.
                                   | ENGLAND.

This response does not represent the official position of, or
statement by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is
provided for informational purposes only. It is supplied
without warranty of any kind.

1. clock-calendar randomly resets itself

A two year-old dual boot laptop (Linux, Win98) for the last two
months has started up
with clock-calendar changed by a couple days and some hours (never
the same amount) each time I reboot to the other system.  I reset to
right day and time and all is well through many reboots so long as I
dont switch to the other system.

Whatever can bo going on here???

2. regarding article "system hangs on network"

3. DAT TAPE DRIVES: Wangtek can't read HP DAT tapes

4. sunPCI nuances

5. ext2fs problems --- it randomly corrupts itself!

6. Creating Files to Print

7. Powersaver resets randomly

8. Clearing up console in line-draw character mode

9. SE3310 - SCSI gross phase/signal error detected SCSI bus reset hapenning randomly

10. HP-1534 tape drive resets SCSI bus.

11. HP DAT drive under SunOS 4.1.2

12. problems with HP DAT drive

13. Read/write errors with new HP DAT 72 SCSI tape drive