Solaris 8 questions / Directories and TCP/IP

Solaris 8 questions / Directories and TCP/IP

Post by Al » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 22:26:21

I'm new in the Solaris world.

so, just received a new SunBlade 100 with Solaris8 installed on it.

Two questions:

A)    It come with predifined Filesystems mounted and directories.  All the
free space is on /space.

        Better to use the preInstalled /space directory and mounted
FileSystem and created my stuff under this one?
        I just want to do things as "Solaris way of doing" concepts.

B)  On other manufacturer Unix server, I use the /etc/ifconfig file to setup
the IP address of
the station, and other things.

    where on the Solaris, we do those things.

 Best places to find ressources of this kind on the Net. ?

 thanks

 AL

Post by Robert Sherma » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:38:19

> I'm new in the Solaris world.

> so, just received a new SunBlade 100 with Solaris8 installed on it.

> Two questions:

> A)    It come with predifined Filesystems mounted and directories.  All the
> free space is on /space.

>         Better to use the preInstalled /space directory and mounted
> FileSystem and created my stuff under this one?
>         I just want to do things as "Solaris way of doing" concepts.

> B)  On other manufacturer Unix server, I use the /etc/ifconfig file to setup
> the IP address of
> the station, and other things.

>     where on the Solaris, we do those things.

>  Best places to find ressources of this kind on the Net. ?

>  thanks

>  AL

a) its really up to you and depends on your needs...mount it wherever
you need the space.

b) man ifconfig
   man hosts
   man resolv.conf
   man nsswitch.conf
   man defaultrouter

resources:

http://docs.sun.com/
http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/faqs.sun.html
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-stuff.html
http://www.sunfreeware.com

--
robert sherman
css, cee

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 01:17:33

> A)    It come with predifined Filesystems mounted and directories.  All the
> free space is on /space.

>         Better to use the preInstalled /space directory and mounted
> FileSystem and created my stuff under this one?
>         I just want to do things as "Solaris way of doing" concepts.

There is nothing FORCING you to use /space. You can use format to wipe /space
out and repartition that part of the drive however you want. Personally, I
would at least remount it as /export on my system.

Quote:> B)  On other manufacturer Unix server, I use the /etc/ifconfig file to setup
> the IP address of
> the station, and other things.

>     where on the Solaris, we do those things.

When you first booted up the system, it should have asked you for that
information.

Anyway, you set the IP address in /etc/hosts. /etc/hostname.eri0 contains the
hostname that corresponds to the IP address in /etc/hosts. From there, you can
set the IP address of the default router in /etc/defaultrouter. If you want to
start from scratch, run sys-unconfig.

Quote:>  Best places to find ressources of this kind on the Net. ?

The World Wide Web. There are tons of resources. All you need to do is look
for them. Try groups.google.com, docs.sun.com, and www.sunhelp.org for
starters.

1. Solaris 2.5.1 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.6 TCP/IP

Hi,All.

I need an advice on the following:
I'm porting a tcp/ip client server application from Solaris2.5.1 to
Solaris2.6
On Solaris2.6 I'm getting different sockets behavior than on
Solaris2.5.1 , For example
accept function failed, or connection refused.

As there any change in the TCP/IP layer between those two operating
systems ?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciate
Eyal.

--
Eyal Haviv.
Product Manager.

2. date/time calculations

3. A question about TCP/IP on Solaris 2.6

4. The stupidest thing I've ever heard

5. Further Newbie questions about strange TCP/IP behaviour on Solaris 8 (IA)

6. HTTPD+TERM Proxi server

7. Solaris TCP/IP Question

8. breaking a binary file into smaller files?

9. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP