need to re-format Ultra5, have no passwords

need to re-format Ultra5, have no passwords

Post by michae » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 07:29:35

I need to re-format a Sun Ultra5 so I can sell it, but I have no password to
get in.

I think I need to halt the boot, make it boot to Solaris CD, and re-format
the drive.  Could use some help with the commands to do this.
Thanks.  -Michael

Post by Lon Stowe » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:20:55

>I need to re-format a Sun Ultra5 so I can sell it, but I have no password to
>get in.

>I think I need to halt the boot, make it boot to Solaris CD, and re-format
>the drive.  Could use some help with the commands to do this.
>Thanks.  -Michael

  Depending on your keyboard. If it has a stop key, hit
  Stop, then "A".   If not, try Control-Break.

  That should give you an OK prompt.

  Stick your O/S CDROM in and type 'boot cdrom'.

  May not need to worry about it if the buyer knows how to
  overwrite the root password from a cdrom boot.

  Mount your root disk on the cdrom mountpoint /a, rw.
  Then erase the password field for root.

1. How do you re-format a disk with no drive letter ?

I incorrectly partitioned a 4Gb disk using DOS's fdisk..
I  removed all the partitions to be begin a fresh install, but now fdisk
complains about the selection (unknow FS type?), and then I go round in
cicles !

I've tried to re-partition using the installation CD but that fails ..

Do I need to use a low-level format utility to wipe the disk, and whats
the correct way to format a disk
for Linux ?

Thanks in advance,

Martin,

2. Mach error message in MkLinux

3. How to re-format an ESDI dirve on a MicroVaxII

4. 6500 won't boot any Linux

5. How to re-format hda1 ?

6. 3D Rage XL + VG800 LCD

7. Hard Drive: Re-Format and/or Re-Install Help

8. Quota Error

9. How do I re-format the 'time' command's output?

10. Q:how to re-format linux partition with macos

11. Having NIC trouble with Ultra5 WS.

12. Large IDEdrive format Ultra5

13. Infor needed: NOS