NIS/NIS+ password aging

Post by eric hsen-wen c » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

All,

another sun admin asked me this question and I'm not
sure of the answer...sorry if it is a faq.  We're still
using plain vanilla NIS here.

questions...

Would it be a correct statement to say that password aging exists in NIS+
but not NIS?

Also, is there a way to record user logins and logouts?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks...

eric

NIS/NIS+ password aging

Post by Ed Finc » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Would it be a correct statement to say that password aging exists in NIS+
> but not NIS?

I've written a perl script to enforce password aging with NIS. It's freely
available at http://www.vais.net/~efinch

Regards,
Ed

     Microsoft Windows: the Budweiser of operating systems.

1. HELP: NIS w/shadow password and password aging, etc

I would like to enhance password security on three master NIS servers (each with a different vendor's flavor of unix; IBM AIX, SGI IRIX, and SUN OS).  My fantasy is to implement shadow passwords along with password aging, and password checking as is available with the npasswd program from UTEXAS.  I would like users to be able to change their NIS password from any NIS client, while at the same time guaranteeing that the passwords will comply with any npasswd style rules implemented.  Also, as some users never log into the NIS master, notification of expired passwords would also have to be proprogated to the NIS clients.

Is this possible?

Thank you,
Jim Byrnes
Departments of Chemical and Mechanical Engineering
Center for Composite Materials
University of Delaware

2. Does a Token Ring adaptor work with Linux ??

3. NIS and password ageing

4. DISPLAY

5. password aging on NIS

6. Olympus digital camera and Linux

7. Password Aging with NIS and xdm

8. HELP: Broken xterm

9. Password aging facility on NIS

10. password aging using NIS?

11. HELP -- Password aging on NIS systems

12. Password aging with NIS under SunOS 4.1.x

13. Password Aging with NIS and Redhat