How do i make solaris 2.6 stop refusing me to connect to a certain socket

How do i make solaris 2.6 stop refusing me to connect to a certain socket

Post by Niklas Colli » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello, I have a problem with Apache.

I have compiled it and it starts ok listening on port 80. However, the
unix system (solaris 2.6) refuses other network hosts to connect to that
socket.

It seems to me, although this is pure speculation to be a firewall
problem. Anyway,
I need to make the host let other computers to connect to port 80. How
do I do this?
It is extremly important since this is part of my job!

Regards, Niklas.

How do i make solaris 2.6 stop refusing me to connect to a certain socket

Post by Steve Bellen » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello, I have a problem with Apache.

>I have compiled it and it starts ok listening on port 80. However, the
>unix system (solaris 2.6) refuses other network hosts to connect to that
>socket.

>It seems to me, although this is pure speculation to be a firewall
>problem. Anyway,
>I need to make the host let other computers to connect to port 80. How
>do I do this?
>It is extremly important since this is part of my job!

>Regards, Niklas.

Can the localhost connect to it? That is are you sure it is running ok?

By default, there is nothing preventing anyone from connecting to any
port. Often people add things like tcp_wrappers to limit access, but
usually not to port 80. Ask whoever installed the system if there is
anything limiting connections.

If the problem is a firewall, then the firewall would have to be between
your web server and the network hosts you are trying to serve. It is unlikely
that all hosts are on the otherside of the firewall. Can you connect from
such nearby hosts?

--

How do i make solaris 2.6 stop refusing me to connect to a certain socket

Post by Niklas Colli » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >I have compiled it and it starts ok listening on port 80. However, the
> >unix system (solaris 2.6) refuses other network hosts to connect to that
> >socket.
> Can the localhost connect to it? That is are you sure it is running ok?

Yes. I ran a GET request during a telnet session to port 80 from the
same host the apache server runs on and it worked! So there is
nothing wrong with the server!

Also netstat lists <IP-address>.80 as LISTENING!

Quote:> usually not to port 80. Ask whoever installed the system if there is
> anything limiting connections.

That's the problem. I'm working in a small company and i'm probably
the most knowledgable here. Anyway, the ppl who installed the system
aren't here.

All help grately appreciated.

/Niklas

How do i make solaris 2.6 stop refusing me to connect to a certain socket

Post by Steve Bellen » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Also netstat lists <IP-address>.80 as LISTENING!

>> usually not to port 80. Ask whoever installed the system if there is
>> anything limiting connections.

OK check to see if packets are arriving for port 80. The easiest way
to run snoop -d device port 80 and see if the requests are reaching
your machine. If not, the problem is elsewhere.

Find out which process is listening on port 80. ("lsof | grep 80" will
do this. lsof is freely available). If it is inetd, then look in
/etc/inetd.conf to see if you running tcpd (tcp_wrappers) it so
the /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny might be controlling who can access
the port.

On the otherhand if its your web program httpd that has tcp :80 open,
then it is the web server itself limiting connections.
--

1. How do i make solaris 2.6 stop refusing me to connect to it?

I am running apache on port 80 on <IP-adress>.

<IP-adress> lies on a logical interface le0:7.

I can telnet to <IP-adress> on port 80 from the same host i.e. the
host with IP-address = <IP-adress> as well as run netscape and get
pages from the webserver as long as netscape is running on that host.

Netstat says that: <IP-adress>.80 is LISTENING.

The only firewall program that i know of that might be running is
Firewall First. I do not think it is active, but i know to little
about it check. Is there information about this somewhere?

There is only ONE NIC in the machine so it can work as a real
firewall, but maybe the firewall restricts access on the host it's
installed only?

Niklas
Love is like he ozone-layer. You don't miss it until it's gone.

Niklas Collin
Ugglev?gen 32A
13144 Nacka

Tel: 08-7164543

2. LinuxPPC 2000 Ethernet...

3. Making Linux server sockets connect with Borland C++ builder Client Sockets?

4. Modeline fro 1400x1050?

5. user ppp refuses to connect to certain domains

6. Oracle on Linux

7. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

8. add me to unix mailing list

9. Connection refused problem using rlogin between RH 7.3 and Solaris 2.6

10. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

11. byteorder.h problem in making tripwire1.2 on solaris 2.6

12. Running a home-made shell with CDE 1.2 / Solaris 2.6

13. Problem Making Shared Object Library for Xpm on Solaris 2.6: