blastwave.org - offline package installation

blastwave.org - offline package installation

Post by Barne » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:47:55

Could someone kindly describe a method of using the the packages
available in an 'offline' way?

ie. I'd like to get a lot of the stuff onto my machine at work, but
have no outside internet access from there. If I grab a package at
home then all the dependencies are taken care of in real time, but how
can I work around this by, say, copying packages from a burned CD?
Hope I've explained myself properly.
Thanks in advance,

blastwave.org - offline package installation

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:08:38

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, it was written:

Quote:> ie. I'd like to get a lot of the stuff onto my machine at work, but
> have no outside internet access from there. If I grab a package at

You don't have Internet access from work?!  Have they switched
to electricity yet, or is everything still steam powered?

Quote:> home then all the dependencies are taken care of in real time, but how
> can I work around this by, say, copying packages from a burned CD?
> Hope I've explained myself properly.

I guess one way would be to install the packages at your home,
and then burn a CD.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:29:21

>Could someone kindly describe a method of using the the packages
>available in an 'offline' way?

>ie. I'd like to get a lot of the stuff onto my machine at work, but
>have no outside internet access from there. If I grab a package at
>home then all the dependencies are taken care of in real time, but how
>can I work around this by, say, copying packages from a burned CD?

What you need to do is find an 'rsync' mirror site.
Use rsync to copy down either all the packages, or just the arch you need,
to a local box, with
  rsync -a rsync://path/to/server/csw localdir

Keep the stuff around for later [*]

Copy all the packages to a CDROM, in a mountable format.
Use rsync again, or ufsdump/ufsrestore, NOT "cp"

Then on the non-networked machine, you should be able to automount
the cd, and use

pkg-get -s file:///cdrom/cdrom0  [usual options here]

in theory, you should also be able to use

pkg-get /cdrom/cdrom0   [xxxxx]

but I dont test that variant much ;-)

This appropriate will give you all the nice goodies like the dependancies,
description file, etc.

[*] The cool thing about keeping the original download around, is that in a
month or whenever, you can invoke rsync again to that directory, and it
will only download the packages that have *changed*, rather than the whole
archive again.

I would LIKE for us to provide a real, tested cdrom distribution, of
"stable" packages. Unfortunately, we lack someone to be the release manager
for it. I have too much on my hands just coordinating the "unstable" side
of the house :-}

--
  http://www.blastwave.org/ for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

                            http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

Post by Barne » Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:50:36

>>Could someone kindly describe a method of using the the packages
>>available in an 'offline' way?

>>ie. I'd like to get a lot of the stuff onto my machine at work, but
>>have no outside internet access from there. If I grab a package at
>>home then all the dependencies are taken care of in real time, but how
>>can I work around this by, say, copying packages from a burned CD?

> What you need to do is find an 'rsync' mirror site.
> Use rsync to copy down either all the packages, or just the arch you need,
> to a local box, with
>   rsync -a rsync://path/to/server/csw localdir

> Keep the stuff around for later [*]

> Copy all the packages to a CDROM, in a mountable format.
> Use rsync again, or ufsdump/ufsrestore, NOT "cp"

> Then on the non-networked machine, you should be able to automount
> the cd, and use

> pkg-get -s file:///cdrom/cdrom0  [usual options here]

> in theory, you should also be able to use

> pkg-get /cdrom/cdrom0   [xxxxx]

> but I dont test that variant much ;-)

> This appropriate will give you all the nice goodies like the dependancies,
> description file, etc.

> [*] The cool thing about keeping the original download around, is that in a
> month or whenever, you can invoke rsync again to that directory, and it
> will only download the packages that have *changed*, rather than the whole
> archive again.

> I would LIKE for us to provide a real, tested cdrom distribution, of
> "stable" packages. Unfortunately, we lack someone to be the release manager
> for it. I have too much on my hands just coordinating the "unstable" side
> of the house :-}

Phil,

Sorry for the delayed response I've been away.
I guess a pair of CDs could be used for the stable and unstable
trees, although unstable for sparc must be around the limit for
putting onto one CD by now?

Have you burned a disk using rsync or ufsdump before? I can't
find any page that describes such a technique, but no matter,
you've given me something to work at and I can experiment with
the CD writer. Many thanks for this.

And merry christmas to all - this is an excellent group.

B.

no spam to bananabrain at wildmail (.) com

Post by Phil Brow » Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:02:01

> Have you burned a disk using rsync or ufsdump before? I can't
> find any page that describes such a technique, but no matter,
> you've given me something to work at and I can experiment with
> the CD writer. Many thanks for th

short answer:

mkisofs -o /somewhere/fs.iso unstable-dir
cdrecord /somewhere/fs.iso

long answer: you will want to pore over the cdrecord manuals for
fine-tuning. Likewise for mkisofs, so that it uses all the fancy long
filenames,etc.