HELP: NFS between Solaris & OS/2

Post by Perry T. Tsacoum » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I've got a PC running OS/2 (version 3, I believe) as the server,
and then I've got a SPARC1000, running Solaris (version 2.4, but
not sure about that at all) as the client to the PC.

There's an NFS connection between the two, in that the SPARC
machine is mounting a directory from the OS/2 machine.  This is
convenient, because whenever a file gets created/placed in that
directory on the PC side, it will get noticed on the SPARC side.

Unfortunately, this NFS connection isn't very reliable.  It may
go down, for reasons unknown.  It may hang up one or both of the
machines, causing the operators to reboot one or both machines.
And, in some cases, the SPARC may not actually notice that the PC
is placing files in that directory.

Is this a REAL problem with NFS?
Is the problem on the SPARC side? OS/2 side? neither? both?
(as you can tell, I'm very confused and frustrated by this.)

If the specific O.S. version numbers really make a difference, then
let me know, and I'll try to get them for you, along with the
specific patch numbers.

Please e-mail me directly, as well as this group.

PerryT

1. URGENT HELP: Solaris/2.4 NFS & OS/2

Sorry for posting a repeat - I posted a similar message several days
ago, and received no responses.  We're having this intermittent
problem running NFS between Solaris (2.4) and OS/2, and we're running
up against the deadline to come up with an answer. I'm DESPERATE!

Has anybody experienced similar problems with this?
What are the possible solutions? Are there patches? Newer versions
of NFS for Solaris? OS/2?

Here is a more detailed explanation of the problem:

I've got a PC running OS/2 (version 3, I believe) as the server,
and then I've got a SPARC1000, running Solaris (version 2.4, but
not sure about which patchlevel) as the client to the PC.

There's an NFS connection between the two, in that the SPARC
machine is mounting a directory from the OS/2 machine.  This is
convenient, because whenever a file gets created/placed in that
directory on the PC side, it will get noticed on the SPARC side.

Unfortunately, this NFS connection isn't very reliable.  It may
go down, for reasons unknown.  It may hang up one or both of the
machines, causing the operators to reboot one or both machines.
And, in some cases, the SPARC may not actually notice that the PC
is placing files in that directory.

Is this a REAL problem with NFS?
Is the problem on the SPARC side? OS/2 side? neither? both?
(as you can tell, I'm very confused and frustrated by this.)

Please e-mail me directly, as well as this group.

PerryT

2. elvis-2.0 compile error

3. OS/2 NFS client and Linux NFS Server help needed

4. upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4

5. Help! Install Solaris & OS/2

6. Remote printers HELP!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Solaris OS Mirroring - info & help

8. newbie question

9. NIS, NFS & Solaris 2.5.1 : Need Help

10. Problem with OSE 5.0 & NFS & TUN-NFS

11. LILO help (DOS & OS/2 & Linux)

12. NFS: Linux & OS/2

13. NFS, Solaris 2.5, PCTCP for OS/2 Lock problems