Tools to extract performance counters?

Post by David McDani » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        I recently upgraded a sparc 10 clone with faster CPUs. I went from
SuperSparc 1 to SuperSparc 2 chips and increased the clock rate, but saw
a dramatically sub-linear throughput improvement. Scaled to simple numbers,
a doubling of cloack rate only produced a 60% throughput increase. The app
does very little i/o and is integer intensive (moving strings around a lot).
        I can only account for this by speculating about mbus contention,
cache misses and or table walks due to tlb misses. I'm sure I could flail
around for a long time and maybe get lucky in trying to zero in on whatever
the issue is, but I'm wondering if either publicly or privately available
from some Sun channel their are any tools to enable an extract any of the
hardware based performance counters which might help me know what is going
on so that I might go in the right direction in restructuring my code if
possible.

-thanx

--
David W. McDaniel           |  Preferred contact info             _____

11009 Metric Blvd. Bldg 822 | voice (512)434-9030 fax 434-9100    `\_/'
Austin Tx 78758 - 4017      |       "Top scientists say..."        `|'

Tools to extract performance counters?

Post by Steve K » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>         I recently upgraded a sparc 10 clone with faster CPUs. I went from

[snip]

Try the SE 2.5 Performance Toolkit from www.sun.com - and try running
the virtual adrian (Cockcroft) to see what he recommends.

--
Steve Kay