Realtime apps. on Solaris..

Post by Ganesh Ramasiva » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Despite all it claims, Solaris 2.6 does not seem to be doing a good job
scheduling processes in its realtime class. I notice that I don't get
deterministic responses and the jitter seems to be as high as 10 ms.

Any views??

Ganesh
Computing Devices Canada

Realtime apps. on Solaris..

Post by Ganesh Ramasiva » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Also, I notice that X-based applications have a tremendous impact on the
realtime response.

Ganesh

> Despite all it claims, Solaris 2.6 does not seem to be doing a good job
> scheduling processes in its realtime class. I notice that I don't get
> deterministic responses and the jitter seems to be as high as 10 ms.

> Any views??

> Ganesh
> Computing Devices Canada

Realtime apps. on Solaris..

Post by Bryan Cantri » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Despite all it claims, Solaris 2.6 does not seem to be doing a good job
>scheduling processes in its realtime class. I notice that I don't get
>deterministic responses and the jitter seems to be as high as 10 ms.

A little more data here would be useful.  What kind of event are you
trying to respond to?  A device interrupt?  A timer?  A signal?  Under
what conditions have you noticed the jitter?  And how, precisely, are you
measuring your latency?  Are you running UP or MP?  And on what hardware?

If you have managed to whittle your problem down to a test case, feel
free to send it my way...

        - Bryan

1. FW: Realtime apps. on Solaris..

Hello,

This is a follow up of an item posted to the comp.realtime newsgroup
regarding the latency with Solaris 2.6.

I have an application which is supposed to spit out around 600K of data
over a myrinet link at the rate of 10 times a second. The workstation is

I am using setitimer(ITIMER_REAL,...) and catching SIGALRM. The
appli-cation is running at a priority of 159 in the realtime class. But
despite all this, I am getting a jitter of around 10-20 ms.

As per a suggestion on one of the lists, I even tried running ntp in the
hope that it would stablize things but it has not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ganesh

2. Envoy SNMP package any good?

3. Realtime app. with image processing on PC

4. protecting files from users in users homes

5. RealTime, Xmem needed HUGE DOS app. on a PPRO.

6. Help with Xwindows and STB video card

7. Solaris 1 more realtime than Solaris 2?

8. Solaris X86 2.4 Internal Modem Problem

9. Realtime Solaris problems - delays every 30 seconds

10. how to activate RealTime scheduling class in solaris 10 sparc kernel?

11. Using realtime scheduling in Solaris 2.2

12. Realtime under SOLARIS 2.4

13. Looking for RealTime solaris thoughts