Bad magic number / Can't open disk label package / Can't open boot device

Bad magic number / Can't open disk label package / Can't open boot device

Post by alexu » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:41:44

that's what i'm geting:

Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

args: Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

now my question is:
I'm trying to install Solaris on my computer and that's error message that
i'm geting, what do i do?

if i do probe-scsi
I get
Unit 0    Disk    SEAGATE model #

so the harddrive itself is there..

Bad magic number / Can't open disk label package / Can't open boot device

Post by Woodstoc » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 23:50:41

I thnk you need to go into FORMAT and LABEL the disk. that will solve the
magic number. I saw my SUN vendor doing it once... cant remember the
complete step.
let me know the outcome

> that's what i'm geting:

> Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open disk label package

> args: Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open disk label package

> Can't open boot device

> now my question is:
> I'm trying to install Solaris on my computer and that's error message that
> i'm geting, what do i do?

> if i do probe-scsi
> I get
> Unit 0    Disk    SEAGATE model #

> so the harddrive itself is there..

1. Ultra 1 getting Can't open boot device: Bad Magic number in disk label

Hello folks,

I just received an Ultra1 and upon booting keep getting:

Bad Magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

I tried going through the Solaris 8 install but it croaks with the same
error. I
thought this meant the disk has yet to be formatted but cannot seem to
find supporting documentation. This is an Ultra 1 143MHZ with OPenboot
3.1.

Thanks for any info,

Ryan

2. Login error using ncpmount

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Please help to start "ypbind"

5. Passing VARS between Shells

6. Corrupt label: bad magic number - sd.so(0,0,0)/vmunix: can not open

7. HELP : get data on ttyb ?

8. corrupt label : bad magic number - sd.so(0,0,0)/vmunix: can not open

9. "Can't open disk label package" error?

10. Bad magic number in disk label on Sparc 4: boot cdrom

11. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)

12. 'ld' and 'bad magic number'