app won't start- stuck in XtVaAppInitialize waiting on poll

app won't start- stuck in XtVaAppInitialize waiting on poll

Post by Bob Pric » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Sometimes this bug (feature?) hits me, and sometimes it does not.

I am developing an app using Xil/OLIT/Xt/X11 under Solaris 2.5.1
for Sparc (on a SPARCstation 10) and using an X server on
a SparcClassic running Solaris 2.5 (running CDE not OpenWindows),
and sometimes the call to XtVaAppInitialize never returns.

Attaching a de* shows a call trace of:

_poll
_select
_XWaitForReadable
_XRead
_XReply
XInternAtom
XScreenResourceString
XtScreenDatabase
_XtDisplayInitialize
XtOpenDisplay
_XtAppInit
_XtVaAppInitialize
XtVaAppInitialize
main

Is there a patch I need to apply somewhere?  (Neither system has
any Solaris patches applied.)

What is going on?

Any help is appreciated!

-Bob

app won't start- stuck in XtVaAppInitialize waiting on poll

Post by Bob Pric » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am developing an app using Xil/OLIT/Xt/X11 under Solaris 2.5.1
> for Sparc (on a SPARCstation 10) and using an X server on
> a SparcClassic running Solaris 2.5 (running CDE not OpenWindows),
> and sometimes the call to XtVaAppInitialize never returns.

Solution seems to be that if fallback_resources are defined, then
the OPENWINHOME env var MUST BE SET or it has these symptoms...

1. X starts, apps start, but I don't see apps

ntp-server.caltech.edu!news

Hi all --

For various arcane reasons, I recently took a hard drive containing a
RedHat Linux 6.1 installation out of the computer it had been in and
put it in a new computer.  Most things worked right away, but of
course X did not work with the new display card.  I ran Xconfigurator
and made a few edits by hand to XF86Config.  Now when I run startx, I
hear the monitor click indicating it has changed resolutions and I see
a black screen with a white mouse cursor in the middle, but that is
all.  Back in the tty, ps shows that gnome and all the apps have
started, but I never see them on the screen.

A possibly-related, possibly-unrelated problem is that I cannot get
the mouse to work.  The old system had a PS/2 mouse.  The new system
has no PS/2 mouse port.  However, it does have a serial port and in
the BIOS settings it says something about PS/2 mouse support.  My
friend (who gave me the new computer) gave me a gadget that allows you
to plug a PS/2 mouse into a DB9 serial port, which he had been
successfully using with the old computer under Windows NT.  However, I
have not gotten it to work with linux (I have tried saying the
protocol is PS/2 and saying it is Microsoft; and I have tried pointing
/dev/mouse to all the various serial ports -- cua0-cua3 and
ttyS0-ttyS3) or Windows 98 which says at bootup that no mouse was
found.

Could mouse problems cause my other symptom, that the running apps
never show up on screen?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
Bob

2. Some observations about Mach64 and 3.1.1

3. apps won't start

4. Microsoft will license the rights to Unix technology from SCO

5. XDM won't start apps

6. Alpha server Node

7. *help* kde apps won't start

8. gzip for AIX progress indicator

9. apps won't start after KPPP dialup

10. X windows apps won't start

11. Common Linux apps won't start in X

12. X apps won't use color app-defaults files

13. can't start apps after kppp starts