corrupt passwd file

Post by Ken Y » Wed, 08 Dec 1993 01:03:36

Here's an interesting dilemma:

 - passwd file is corrupted such that root password is bogus
 - try to boot single-user ("boot -s") to fix it
 - it asks you for a root password which has been corrupted
 - can't login as root from a different system because it is secure
 - no users have su or surun priv because of security

What can you do next?   :-(

This is Solaris 2.2...

 ken

corrupt passwd file

Post by Christian Masopu » Wed, 08 Dec 1993 22:37:14

: Here's an interesting dilemma:

:  - passwd file is corrupted such that root password is bogus
:  - try to boot single-user ("boot -s") to fix it
:  - it asks you for a root password which has been corrupted
:  - can't login as root from a different system because it is secure
:  - no users have su or surun priv because of security

: What can you do next?   :-(

Boot from CD and remove the corrupted root password (or enter a known
crypted password in /etc/shadow (I think /etc/shadow is corrupted and
not /etc/passwd!)

Regards
Christian Masopust

 | Christian Masopust                         Siemens AG Austria |
 | PSE 313                                    Siemensstr. 88-92  |
 | Tel.: +43-1-2501-4516                      A-1210 Wien        |

corrupt passwd file

Post by Rajesh Godbo » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 04:23:20

|> Here's an interesting dilemma:
|>
|>  - passwd file is corrupted such that root password is bogus
|>  - try to boot single-user ("boot -s") to fix it
|>  - it asks you for a root password which has been corrupted
|>  - can't login as root from a different system because it is secure
|>  - no users have su or surun priv because of security
|>
|> What can you do next?   :-(
|>
|> This is Solaris 2.2...
|>
|>  ken

o Boot machine single user from (1) cd or (2) net. (boot cdrom or boot net)
o mount root file system, or file system on which /etc is mounted.
o edit passwd and/or shadow file in /etc
o reboot from disk

-rajesh

---

Synopsys Inc,
700 E. Middlefield Rd.
Mountain View, CA 94043

-- Speaking only for myself --

corrupt passwd file

Post by Ken Y » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 01:01:01

(Christian Masopust) writes:

> Boot from CD and remove the corrupted root password (or enter a known
> crypted password in /etc/shadow (I think /etc/shadow is corrupted and
> not /etc/passwd!)

   Ooops...missing one important point:
     - The Sparc Classic was installed with Solaris 2.2 and then sent
       to a customer.  We use it as a console for our MPP system.
       The customer doesn't have any other Solaris 2.x systems...

 ken

p.s., thanks for all the replies already...unfortunately, just
about every one suggested above...

corrupt passwd file

Post by Michael T.Y. McNama » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 10:39:34

|> : - passwd file is corrupted such that root password is bogus : -
|> try to boot single-user ("boot -s") to fix it : - it asks you for a
|> root password which has been corrupted : - can't login as root from
|> a different system because it is secure : - no users have su or
|> surun priv because of security

|> : What can you do next?  :-(

|> Boot from CD and remove the corrupted root password (or enter a
|> known crypted password in /etc/shadow (I think /etc/shadow is
|> corrupted and not /etc/passwd!)

        If this works, it implys that setting up a single user root
password is useless.

        (If bad guy gets to your console; where before she would type
L1-A, boot -s and would then have fun; now she types L1-A (if that
fails, she toggles power), inserts distribution CD, and boots from
that, and then has her fun.)

        This suggests sysops should lock up their distribution CD's.

--

`------' See our AD in EE Times!  For information, call 1-800-VERILOG

corrupt passwd file

Post by Eckhard Rueggebe » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 00:05:42

|> Boot from CD and remove the corrupted root password (or enter a
|> known crypted password in /etc/shadow (I think /etc/shadow is
|> corrupted and not /etc/passwd!)
|       This suggests sysops should lock up their distribution CD's.

No. It suggests setting PROM passwords...
---
Eckhard R"uggeberg

corrupt passwd file

Post by Gyula Szoko » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 01:48:49

>|> Boot from CD and remove the corrupted root password (or enter a
>|> known crypted password in /etc/shadow (I think /etc/shadow is
>|> corrupted and not /etc/passwd!)

>    If this works, it implys that setting up a single user root
>password is useless.

  No, no no. That's why you can (and should IMHO) set up an eeprom
password. The boot monitor can operate in three different modes:
-- no security
-- some security (you can boot without the password but CAN'T supply
   any boot parameter -- like 'boot cdrom')
-- max. security (you can't do anything without the password).

  Yes, I know: you can still 'brake his' but it requires hardware
intervention (and you risc the life of the machine), but you can
not protect the machine against a hardware hacker: I just unplug the
disc, take it home, plug it into my machine as a second disc, and
I'm done.

Gyula

--

|  When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according|
|to your principles; when I am  stronger than  you, I take away  your freedom|

corrupt passwd file

Post by Tim Addison - Sun UK - SE Cambrid » Thu, 23 Dec 1993 02:06:22

boot from cdrom by doing a

OK boot cdrom -sw

mount the root filesystem and recover that way.

--Tim

ps note this is the equivalent of booting mini-unix under 4.1.x it takes
longer to boot but you get a full running O/S running off the CD.

Quote:> Here's an interesting dilemma: