Solution to my problem with HP 35480A DAT streamer

Solution to my problem with HP 35480A DAT streamer

Post by Michael Haar » Thu, 27 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Lately lots of people complained about problems with HP 35480A streamers
and Solaris 2.3.  The previous admin here just connected it to a
SparcClassic and it worked fine for over a year.

Then out of a sudden it gave SCSI timeouts, a problem encountered by

friendly solution, some modifications to /kernel/drv/st.conf and
adjusting some DIP switches.  Now the streamer at least started dumping
files but quitted doing so after a small amount of time, so it still
didn't work: No SCSI timeout, but now a hardware error (servo error)
occured.  It also still took a few minutes for it to rewind and eject
the DAT tape.  Weird enough, another person reported to me to have
exactly the same problem (don't know about his error message right now)
with his two streamers.

Anyway, at least for us, it turned out that our streamer must have
broken just during the time interval during which so many people
started to have problems.  A company in England repaired it for a flat
fee.  In fact we got a replacement streamer back, which works fine.  It
is still mysterious that the old one worked once.

I am not sure what the summary of this is, but perhaps it helps someone
in a different situation.

Michael

Solution to my problem with HP 35480A DAT streamer

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 28 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Lately lots of people complained about problems with HP 35480A streamers
>and Solaris 2.3.  The previous admin here just connected it to a
>SparcClassic and it worked fine for over a year.

>Anyway, at least for us, it turned out that our streamer must have
>broken just during the time interval during which so many people
>started to have problems.  A company in England repaired it for a flat
>fee.  In fact we got a replacement streamer back, which works fine.  It
>is still mysterious that the old one worked once.

>I am not sure what the summary of this is, but perhaps it helps someone
>in a different situation.

Did you check the firmware version of both drives ? It may be obtained with
probe-scsi at promlevel.

If the firmware of the replacement drive is different, the old firmware may be
buggy.

Joerg

--
Private:J?rg Schilling Seestr. 110 D-13353 Berlin      (030)452 55 85

If you don't have iso-8859-1 chars my name is           J"org Schilling