sparc machine for student

Post by pba » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:44:09

Hi everyone, I need some quick advice. IYHO which would be a better
machine to purchase granted that I have limited funds and want to
spend no more than $1000 on a sparc machine.

1) New SunBlade 100 - $795 + $135/for 512MB Ram

2) Used Ultra 10 / 333 - $800
Comes with 512 MB, Sun Raid Controller, two SCSI 10 GB HDDs, 3D
Creator Graphics card.

They both seem to be about the same price although I think that the
Ultra 10 will give me more bang for my buck.

Thanks!
Paul

sparc machine for student

Post by -wisegu » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:58:49

Quote:> Hi everyone, I need some quick advice. IYHO which would be a better
> machine to purchase granted that I have limited funds and want to
> spend no more than $1000 on a sparc machine.

> 1) New SunBlade 100 - $795 + $135/for 512MB Ram

> 2) Used Ultra 10 / 333 - $800
> Comes with 512 MB, Sun Raid Controller, two SCSI 10 GB HDDs, 3D
> Creator Graphics card.

> They both seem to be about the same price although I think that the
> Ultra 10 will give me more bang for my buck.

> Thanks!
> Paul

You don't even need an Ultra.  Look at the old SPARC machines.  They even
support SCSI drives, the way god intended...and they are cheaper.

--
-wiseguy
Recursion is such a deep concept.

sparc machine for student

Post by Hugh O'Har » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:50:53

Quote:

> You don't even need an Ultra.  Look at the old SPARC machines.  They even
> support SCSI drives, the way god intended...and they are cheaper.

Good advice but the Ulra 10 mentioned has the RAID controller + 2 10 Gb SCSI
drives, interesting hardware for a newbie to hack at, and not a bad price
for wht's on offer.

sparc machine for student

Post by Shao W » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 06:55:57

> Hi everyone, I need some quick advice. IYHO which would be a better
> machine to purchase granted that I have limited funds and want to
> spend no more than $1000 on a sparc machine.

> 1) New SunBlade 100 - $795 + $135/for 512MB Ram

> 2) Used Ultra 10 / 333 - $800
> Comes with 512 MB, Sun Raid Controller, two SCSI 10 GB HDDs, 3D
> Creator Graphics card.

> They both seem to be about the same price although I think that the
> Ultra 10 will give me more bang for my buck.

> Thanks!
> Paul

Given the choice among the two, I would go with SunBlade 100.
SunBlade 100 has a faster CPU (yeah, I know what other say
about smaller cache, but still faster overall performance), and it
is using "standard" PC components. You can upgrade your memory
for the Sunblade 100  *A LOT* cheaper than for Ultra10/Ultra5,
for example.

SunBlade 100 is supported by Sun, and Ultra10 is EOL (end-of-life).

The "Sun Raid Controller", well, I think you mistake that for a
SCSI controller (a plan-old-SCSI controller).  You can get a Symbio
SCSI card for cheap ($50 or so).   The 2 10-Gbyte SCSI drives are
old drives any way....

You get a built-in 24-bit graphics card for SunBlade 100 (with 8 Mbyte
or RAM), and the Creator 3D (not to be confused with Creator ) has
16 Mbyte of RAM.  Personally, I don't see any difference between the
two cards.  I have a Sunblade 100 and an Ultra60.

I would choose SunBlade100 over Ultra10. In addition, The CPU for
SunBlade100 is a single-chip processor (like a Pentium CPU), and
you upgrade the CPU later (when faster one is available), and/or you
can overclock it if you want cheap-performance.

sparc machine for student

Post by Robert Sherm » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:00:47

> Hi everyone, I need some quick advice. IYHO which would be a better
> machine to purchase granted that I have limited funds and want to
> spend no more than $1000 on a sparc machine.

> 1) New SunBlade 100 - $795 + $135/for 512MB Ram

> 2) Used Ultra 10 / 333 - $800
> Comes with 512 MB, Sun Raid Controller, two SCSI 10 GB HDDs, 3D
> Creator Graphics card.

> They both seem to be about the same price although I think that the
> Ultra 10 will give me more bang for my buck.

> Thanks!
> Paul

it would depend on what your needs are...do you just need a sparc to
do development work on, or are you looking to learn to admin a
sparc solaris box? if the former, go with the SB100 for all the
reasons mentioned (faster chip, easy/cheap upgrades). if the
latter, go get a server class box off ebay...

--
robert sherman
css3, school of civil and environmental engineering

sparc machine for student

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 04:48:08

> Hi everyone, I need some quick advice. IYHO which would be a better
> machine to purchase granted that I have limited funds and want to
> spend no more than $1000 on a sparc machine.
> 1) New SunBlade 100 - $795 + $135/for 512MB Ram

        Where are you finding that price?  The Sun store says they start
at $950 (plus a mandatory $45 for a USB keyboard you probably didn't
need anyway, thank you so very effing much Sun).

--
If mail to me bounces, try removing the "+STRING" part of the address.

sparc machine for student

Post by Robert Mullen » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 06:32:51

> > Hi everyone, I need some quick advice. IYHO which would be a better
> > machine to purchase granted that I have limited funds and want to
> > spend no more than $1000 on a sparc machine.

> > 1) New SunBlade 100 - $795 + $135/for 512MB Ram

>    Where are you finding that price?  The Sun store says they start
> at $950 (plus a mandatory $45 for a USB keyboard you probably didn't
> need anyway, thank you so very effing much Sun).

Look under Promotions down in the Education section and you will
see the Blade 100 promo for EDU.

1. Computers for students, by students.

We (The association for Computing Machinery, IIT chapter) are working to get
a computer for student use, to provide the students and student organizations
with a Bulletin Board System for announcements, discussion, and the like.

        One of the requests the Finance Board (the student "leaders" who make
financial decisions) has made before they will consider approval is that we
provide them with information from:

        "... other universities or groups outside of IIT who could advocate
the additon of such a system, or ideally, have made such an addtion themselves."

--
           Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

                         My Employer Disagrees.

2. File server FS?

3. OpenLinux Standard: student to student

4. Exiting Forth Monitor Mode

5. Can you Physically mount disks created on an x86 machine to a Sparc Machine ??

6. EQL enslave binary won't run under rh 6.0!

7. WANTED: Sparc 2/5/10/20 workstation for starving student 12-16-98 cnx.net

8. Netscape Calendar Server

9. Which Sparc for a Student?

10. Which machine for Oracle 8i for a student ?

11. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

12. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

13. routing with sparc machine