C compiler on Solaris?

Post by ertm.. » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Sorry if this is a novice question, but I'm newish to my Solaris.
I have a Sun Sparc5 Solaris 2.5. When I type cc I get "language optional
software not installed". When I type make filename I get "make command not
found". How do I get the make command to work (I have Makefile files in the
directories I'm trying to run make)?

to newsgroups. Thanks in advance for any advice.

C compiler on Solaris?

Post by William J. Davi » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Sorry if this is a novice question, but I'm newish to my Solaris.
> I have a Sun Sparc5 Solaris 2.5. When I type cc I get "language optional
> software not installed". When I type make filename I get "make command not
> found". How do I get the make command to work (I have Makefile files in the
> directories I'm trying to run make)?

> to newsgroups. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The C compiler that come with Solaris is no longer free. You can either purchase
a license from Sun to use their so-so compiler of go out and pull down the GNU C
compiler (gcc).

The make command is not "language optional software". It should work on your C
files without any trouble after you get a compiler.

C compiler on Solaris?

Post by Duncan Vell » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Sorry if this is a novice question, but I'm newish to my Solaris.
> I have a Sun Sparc5 Solaris 2.5. When I type cc I get "language optional
> software not installed". When I type make filename I get "make command not
> found". How do I get the make command to work (I have Makefile files in the
> directories I'm trying to run make)?

cc does not come with Solaris 2.5  You have to buy the software
and install it.  You could download gcc instead.

make is in the /usr/ccs/bin directory.
Give the full pathname when running it.

Regards
Duncan

C compiler on Solaris?

Post by Randy Re » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Sorry if this is a novice question, but I'm newish to my Solaris.
>I have a Sun Sparc5 Solaris 2.5. When I type cc I get "language optional
>software not installed". When I type make filename I get "make command not
>found". How do I get the make command to work (I have Makefile files in the
>directories I'm trying to run make)?

>to newsgroups. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Unfortunately, Sun Microsystems no longer includes a c compiler
as a part of their operating system, to resolve your dilemma, you must either
send Sun some money for a compiler, or resort to the Gnu compiler.

C compiler on Solaris?

Post by John F Clar » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have installed Answerbook on a Netra (Solaris 2.5) when I type answerbook
it attempts to load it but I get an error message saying ab_admin fatal
error.
ld.so.1 cant open libC.so.3 which apprently I dont have. Any ideas?
Do I need to download libC.so.3 from somewhere or am I overlooking
something.
Johnny

C compiler on Solaris?

Post by Casper H.S. D » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have installed Answerbook on a Netra (Solaris 2.5) when I type answerbook
>it attempts to load it but I get an error message saying ab_admin fatal
>error.
>ld.so.1 cant open libC.so.3 which apprently I dont have. Any ideas?
>Do I need to download libC.so.3 from somewhere or am I overlooking
>something.

You need to install it.  Get SUNWlibCf from your 2.x CD.

/usr/lib/libC.so.3 is in package SUNWlibCf
system      SUNWlibCf      SPARCompilers Bundled libC (cfront version)
--
Casper Dik - Sun Microsystems - via my guest account at the University

be fiction rather than truth.

C compiler on Solaris?

Post by Edsel Adap -- OPCOM Consultan » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I have installed Answerbook on a Netra (Solaris 2.5) when I type answerbook
> it attempts to load it but I get an error message saying ab_admin fatal
> error.
> ld.so.1 cant open libC.so.3 which apprently I dont have. Any ideas?
> Do I need to download libC.so.3 from somewhere or am I overlooking
> something.
> Johnny

If you installed Solaris with anything less than the SUNWCprog cluster,
then you won't have libC.so.*

Install the package SUNWlibC from your 2.5 cd.

--
Edsel Adap   OPCOM Consultant   SUN Microsystems Developer Support
Center

Opinions expressed are my own and do not represent Sun Microsystems.

1. cc errors on Solaris 2.6 - does Solaris come with a compiler anymore?

mmarquis%  cc
/usr/ucb/cc :  language optional software package not installed

What is this?  Ok, let me take a guess - it isn't installed properly or
we just don't get a compiler anymore like
back in my sysadmin days of SunOS 4.1.3.

Also,  I get this other error:

ld.so.1: ./it_test: fatal: libXm.so.2: open failed: No such file or
directory

Now, I vaguely remember the ld.so errors from hell - what is going on
here - possibly a rebuild.  I just
dumped out a tape of Solaris binaries and got this so I thought it is
possibly telling me to recompile.

Thanks,
Melissa

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Top 10 posters comp.unix.questions

3. Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

4. Kernel patch to show rule number for logged packets?

5. Solaris 10 -- Where to get gcc (or other compiler) built on Solaris 10?

6. HELP: swapper being killed

7. hp-ux C compiler flags vs hp-aix C compiler flags

8. Are sun studio C/C++ compilers and Forte C/C++ compilers same ??

9. Compiler compilers

10. Installing a compiler on a Lixux system with an existing compiler?

11. Linux compilers vs. Windows compilers

12. Basic Compiler/Basic-to-C Compiler