newbie needs help changing IP address.

Post by John Smit » Sun, 19 May 2002 03:51:03

I have a system up and running (rather, it was).  We went through a network
migration and moved from one network to another.  How do I reconfigure my
system to get onto the new network.  I have modiefied hostname.hme0, hosts,
defaultdomain, nodename, & netmasks  in /etc.

This is a Sun ultra 5/10 and runs Solaris 8.  Is there a tool or something?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

newbie needs help changing IP address.

Post by Joe Blogg » Sun, 19 May 2002 04:17:44

Quote:> I have a system up and running (rather, it was).  We went through a
network
> migration and moved from one network to another.  How do I reconfigure my
> system to get onto the new network.  I have modiefied hostname.hme0,
hosts,
> defaultdomain, nodename, & netmasks  in /etc.

> This is a Sun ultra 5/10 and runs Solaris 8.  Is there a tool or
something?

> Please help.

> Thanks in advance.

sys-unconfig

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=1M&topic=sys-unc...

Post by Anthony Edwar » Mon, 20 May 2002 22:57:23

> I have a system up and running (rather, it was).  We went through a network
> migration and moved from one network to another.  How do I reconfigure my
> system to get onto the new network.  I have modiefied hostname.hme0, hosts,
> defaultdomain, nodename, & netmasks  in /etc.

> This is a Sun ultra 5/10 and runs Solaris 8.

I run Solaris 8 on a Sun Ultra 5 (they are quite different machines, so
I'm a little unsure how you can be confused which one yours is!).  To
change networks:

/etc/defaultrouter - change to new default gateway (there should be one
IP address in this file only)

/etc/hostname.hme0 - change nodename if machine hostname has changed
(not necessary if the machine is simply being re-located to a different
network and hostname.example.net will remain as it was previously was,
although you will need to request that your domain admininstrator make
the necessary forward and reverse zone DNS changes in that case)

/etc/hosts - change as per following example:

        #
        # Internet host table
        #
        127.0.0.1       localhost
        192.168.0.2     ultra   loghost

/etc/netmasks - edit this file so it shows the new network address
(*not* IP address of the machine itself) and subnet mask

/etc/nodename - edit this file only if the nodename has changed (see
above /etc/hostname.hme0 comments)

/etc/resolv.conf - edit this file to include new domain (if domain the
machine is part of has changed) and new name servers that should be used
for resolver requests - it is possible that the name servers your
machine previously used are no longer available from the new network, if
for example those name servers were on the old network, and the old
network is firewalled off from the new

--
Anthony Edwards

Post by Chris Morga » Mon, 20 May 2002 23:59:46

> > I have a system up and running (rather, it was).  We went through a network
> > migration and moved from one network to another.  How do I reconfigure my
> > system to get onto the new network.  I have modiefied hostname.hme0, hosts,
> > defaultdomain, nodename, & netmasks  in /etc.
[SNIP]
> change networks:

> /etc/defaultrouter
[SNIP]

> /etc/hostname.hme0
[SNIP]
> /etc/hosts - change as per following example:
> /etc/netmasks
[SNIP]
> /etc/nodename
[SNIP]
> /etc/resolv.conf

[SNIP]

Excellent : Just to add to this complete (as far as I can tell) advice
:

When you change the defaultrouter, you need to reboot, or
alternatively, if the machine is already in use on the local subnet
(as happened to me - shared within my team)) use 'route' to replace
the default route with one to the new gateway.

It's a beautiful thing fixing this type of thing without rebooting a
Unix machine.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Chris

--
Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
      Temp sig. - Enquire within

Post by Benn » Fri, 24 May 2002 16:16:46

> I have a system up and running (rather, it was).  We went through a network
> migration and moved from one network to another.  How do I reconfigure my
> system to get onto the new network.  I have modiefied hostname.hme0, hosts,
> defaultdomain, nodename, & netmasks  in /etc.

> This is a Sun ultra 5/10 and runs Solaris 8.  Is there a tool or something?

> Please help.

> Thanks in advance.

man sys-unconfig

1. newbie needs help changing IP address

Read man page on 'sys-unconfig'. If it is just IP address
change, you really need not have to run the above command.
Just change in hosts, and if needed defaultrouter and
netmask files.

The command 'sys-config' will prompt you for info. such as
hostname,ipaddress,subnet,name service info,etc. This
command will wipe out all(most) your old information and
will not keep any backup copies of config
files. And you also need to reboot the machine.
Hence decide what you want before you run this potentially
dangerous program.

-Nanda Hullahalli

2. strange things afoot

3. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

4. Firewalls for MSMail

5. Help needed on changing IP address

6. Cant find an X server

7. Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses

8. Linux and ADSL with GTE

9. Need help changing machines IP address

10. Help - Need to change IP addresses V 3.25 & 4.1.4

11. Need Help Changing IP address

12. need help changing ip address

13. newbie: need help with IP address notation