Max num Virtual IPs ?

Post by Phil Cordie » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

What is the max number of virtual ips allowed on a single interface? ie
I have
        eth0
        eth0:1
        eth0:2
        eth0:?

What are the performance considerations in running a large number of virtual ips
on a single interface?

Max num Virtual IPs ?

Post by jan gran » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> What is the max number of virtual ips allowed on a single interface?

I'd direct your attention to

http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q4.10.html

(amongst other places). Bookmark this!

jan

Unfortunately, after attempting to repeat Pavlov's experiment, I found
myself with the desire to ring a bell whenever I saw a dog salivate.

Max num Virtual IPs ?

Post by CP » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> What is the max number of virtual ips allowed on a single interface? ie
> I have
>         eth0
>         eth0:1
>         eth0:2
>         eth0:?

> What are the performance considerations in running a large number of virtual ips
> on a single interface?

Did you answer your question "on a single interface" yourself already ?

ethernet is CSMA i.e. one at a time.

The only thing you consider is ARP call since Solaris store the ARP
table in kernel space (which is very efficient but also very limited,
not like a router).  Extra ARP call is required if you are using e.g.
eth0:8191 and talk to a lot of machines.

--

Regards

--CP

1. NS Commerce: max virtual IPs ??

Hello,

After recently installing Netscape Commerce server (non-secure) on
Windows NT, I find it appears to be limited to 16 virtual IP numbers.

Is this really true or is there some other way to add more than 16?

Is NT itself limited to 16 IPs?

What about adding additional ethernet cards? Would that allow for
more?

Thanks in advance,
-Robert Reed
 PM Info Tech, IST-UCF

2. How do I connect to my ISP under command line???

3. PPP probleme (max num. conf request reatched)

4. HELP ! want to shutdown cleanly from xdm

5. Max num files opened

6. RHCE

7. max num open file descriptors

8. Ftp Upload directory for Users mapped to anonymous not working.. please help

9. What is the max num of PPP pseudodevices?

10. firewall on a virtual web server with multiple IPs

11. NS Enterprise: how many hardware virtual servers / IPs per process?

12. removing virtual IPs in solaris 10

13. Binding multiple IPs for Virtual Hosting on Solaris