Installing 2nd IDE Drive on Solaris 2.4 X86

Installing 2nd IDE Drive on Solaris 2.4 X86

Post by Jeffery J. Haywar » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 23:15:32

I've installed a second IDE drive on our Solaris X86 box and need to
configure it and mount a new file system on it. What program(s) do I run
to configure the disk? Its a 1Gb disk.

Thanks for any help!

-jeff

1. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

I am considering installing Linux on my PC.  All of my hard drive space
is spoken for, so I would need to add a third hard drive to my system.
But, before I go out and spend a few hundred dollars on a new
hard drive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of problems
I might have if I set my PC up this way:

System is a Gw2k P5-120, 32 meg 60ns EDO ram, ATI Mach 64 graphics, on board
EIDE controller, Ensoniq Soundscape sound card.

EIDE Controller 0:
     Drive 0:  OS/2 Boot Manager
               FAT partition for Window$ '95 (*mutter* *grumble*)

     Drive 1:  5 HPFS partitions (OS/2 Warp, programs, data, news spool, etc.)

EIDE Controller 1:
     Drive 0:  ATAPI-compliant 3-disk CD-ROM drive

     Drive 1:  new HD, where Linux partitions will go

In other words, will Linux squawk at being installed on or booting from the
secondary drive on the secondary controller?  Or, do I need to look into
getting a SCSI drive?  I haven't seen anything written in the files I've
looked at that suggest that there might be a problem, but....

Also, is there anything special I need to know in shopping for a
hard drive for Linux, or about hardware problems I am going to encounter
(aside from only being able to use tray 0 of the CD-ROM drive....)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Michael Adams
Triskele Consulting

--

2. Want to buy portable printer

3. Solaris 2.4 x86 on 2nd SCSI Disk?

4. running dip from cron

5. How to mount 2nd fdisk partition in Solaris 2.4 x86?

6. Archive QIC-02 tape unit

7. Can't install Solaris 8 x86 to 40 gig IDE drive

8. Help: Looking for a MultiTasking OS!

9. Solaris 2.4 x86 supporting Sony 55E IDE CD-ROM?

10. Mixing SCSI & IDE on x86 Solaris 2.4

11. Installing a second IDE drive on Solaris x86

12. Q: Does Solaris 2.4 x86 support IDE CD-ROM

13. How to mount Floppy Drive A and B from solaris x86 2.4?