Please Help, I can no longer boot!

Post by Doug Kayfis » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

It seems that I have been unfortunate enough to have the power go out in
my building while I was applying a patch.I have looked at the patch on
another machine (103631-09) and think I can fix it up -but- how the heck
do I boot off of the cdrom and mount the hard drive to something.  I've
done similar to other flavors of unix, buy the way I am using SolarisX86
2.5.1) but for some reason seem to be missing something.  I put in the
floppy, pick the cd-rom to boot from and then it seems to want to go
straight into an install.  Would sure appreciate a little advise.

Post by Cameron Simpso » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

| It seems that I have been unfortunate enough to have the power go out in
| my building while I was applying a patch.I have looked at the patch on
| another machine (103631-09) and think I can fix it up -but- how the heck
| do I boot off of the cdrom and mount the hard drive to something.  I've
| done similar to other flavors of unix, buy the way I am using SolarisX86
| 2.5.1) but for some reason seem to be missing something.  I put in the
| floppy, pick the cd-rom to boot from and then it seems to want to go
| straight into an install.  Would sure appreciate a little advise.

1: I seem to recall there's a way to get to a shell from the install before
   it starts doing anything.
2: Try booting single-user (i.e. "-s" before or after "cdrom" in "boot cdrom").
   Urr, not sure how you say this on an Intel platform.

Don't give up, it can definitiely be done.

Cheers,

          http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/
--
Politicians... Kill em' all, let GOD sort em' out!

Please Help, I can no longer boot!

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,
>It seems that I have been unfortunate enough to have the power go out in
>my building while I was applying a patch.I have looked at the patch on
>another machine (103631-09) and think I can fix it up -but- how the heck
>do I boot off of the cdrom and mount the hard drive to something.  I've
>done similar to other flavors of unix, buy the way I am using SolarisX86
>2.5.1) but for some reason seem to be missing something.  I put in the
>floppy, pick the cd-rom to boot from and then it seems to want to go
>straight into an install.  Would sure appreciate a little advise.

Try "boot cdrom -s" or if you go to install, wait until you get at the
point where a graphical install starts.

At that point, pop up a root shell.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. please help, system no longer boots, can't e2fsck

96-04-25 21:56

System no longer boots.

What did I do?
I wanted it to start xdm automatically. I saw that there
already was an xdm line in /etc/rc.d/rc.4, so obviously
this file was not being called. A comment said that this
would be run "when the system is initialised for run
level 4". So I tried to persuade the sys to use run level
4 (whatever that is).
I discovered inittab. Tried to make it run as 4 by
changing the line with "initdefault". Didn't seem to do
much. Changed it back.
Discovered "telinit". I typed "telinit 4". It said "sending
everything such-and-such a signal" and then started xdm.
Fine. Then I wanted to exit so I did su root and
shutdown. Then trouble began, I think. Came back from X
to the command line and remained there (unexpected: why
not rebooting?). Tried to get out of there.

Anyway, after power cycling, it no longer booted. LILO
ok, but then freezed after finding swap space. Every
time. Install disc from slackware lets me in, I can mount -t ext2
/dev/hda1 /mnt, restore the original inittab just in
case, and that's it. I can't run programs from the hard
disc, though, even when I have them under my feet. WHY? I
copy /mnt/sbin/e2fsck to / (ram disc), unmount the hd and
try to check it... it refuses to execute /e2fsck, says
"e2fsck: not found" when it's obviously there and
executable. WHY? Could this be a shared lib not found
problem? But I copied it from sbin...
Similarly I can't execute find, diff or anything useful
that's not on the ramdisc, even if the path includes
/mnt/bin, /mnt/local/bin and so on.

Why does it no longer boot? Does it sound like I trashed
the file system? Can telinit have effects that survive a
power cycle (sounds unlikely, but if so where does it
store its state?)
And, most importantly, how do I fix it?
Clues welcome, e-mail cc appreciated.

2. pdksh for Win98

3. Please help, can no longer boot linux.

4. Where to find mkinitrd-2.9.1.src.rpm?

5. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

6. 1280X1024 for Stealth 64 Video and Nanao T2-17TS

7. Experts agree, impact of Slapper pales to Code Red or NIMDA.

8. Remote SMTP servers no longer accessible - help please!

9. cua/a and cua/b I can no longer cu, please help!

10. Solaris 2.4 SIGHUP no longer works! Help, please

11. Help! Linux no longer boots after installing Win98

12. Help: System no longer boots after adding partition