1. please help, system no longer boots, can't e2fsck
System no longer boots.
What did I do?
I wanted it to start xdm automatically. I saw that there
already was an xdm line in /etc/rc.d/rc.4, so obviously
this file was not being called. A comment said that this
would be run "when the system is initialised for run
level 4". So I tried to persuade the sys to use run level
4 (whatever that is).
I discovered inittab. Tried to make it run as 4 by
changing the line with "initdefault". Didn't seem to do
much. Changed it back.
Discovered "telinit". I typed "telinit 4". It said "sending
everything such-and-such a signal" and then started xdm.
Fine. Then I wanted to exit so I did su root and
shutdown. Then trouble began, I think. Came back from X
to the command line and remained there (unexpected: why
not rebooting?). Tried to get out of there.
Anyway, after power cycling, it no longer booted. LILO
ok, but then freezed after finding swap space. Every
time. Install disc from slackware lets me in, I can mount -t ext2
/dev/hda1 /mnt, restore the original inittab just in
case, and that's it. I can't run programs from the hard
disc, though, even when I have them under my feet. WHY? I
copy /mnt/sbin/e2fsck to / (ram disc), unmount the hd and
try to check it... it refuses to execute /e2fsck, says
"e2fsck: not found" when it's obviously there and
executable. WHY? Could this be a shared lib not found
problem? But I copied it from sbin...
Similarly I can't execute find, diff or anything useful
that's not on the ramdisc, even if the path includes
/mnt/bin, /mnt/local/bin and so on.
Why does it no longer boot? Does it sound like I trashed
the file system? Can telinit have effects that survive a
power cycle (sounds unlikely, but if so where does it
store its state?)
And, most importantly, how do I fix it?
Clues welcome, e-mail cc appreciated.
2. pdksh for Win98
3. Please help, can no longer boot linux.
4. Where to find mkinitrd-2.9.1.src.rpm?
5. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!
6. 1280X1024 for Stealth 64 Video and Nanao T2-17TS
7. Experts agree, impact of Slapper pales to Code Red or NIMDA.
8. Remote SMTP servers no longer accessible - help please!
9. cua/a and cua/b I can no longer cu, please help!
10. Solaris 2.4 SIGHUP no longer works! Help, please
11. Help! Linux no longer boots after installing Win98
12. Help: System no longer boots after adding partition